growth rates for pike?

deer hunting a few weeks ago and got checked by the warden. he is also the land manager for the only lake in Kansas that supports a pike population. they took advantage of the drought two years ago and drained the lake to rid it of out-of-hand white perch and carp populations. when it refilled, they stocking it with fingerling pike this last spring. during the fall netting they sampled pike that were 19 inches long! 18 inches of growth in one summer! it was obviously a voided ecosystem, so food was as abundant as it could possibly be. this lake is obviously on the southern edge of a pikes range, so a faster growth rate than up north is expected, but 18 inches in a summer? it seems astronomical to me. anyone have more knowledge on the subject?

I didn't hear anybody wrong. that's a pretty flimsy assumption. especially since it came out of left field. I couldn't believe it either, so I repeated it to him and he repeated it back to me with a hand gesture indicating almost two feet. be are both very effective at communicating with each other in plain, simple English.

anonymous: that's a lot of research to prove the land manager a liar. im sure when he told me that they grew 18 inches in 6 MONTHS that he must have read what you read. im so tired of people googling something and assuming they know what they are talking about. you weren't there, you didn't hear the conversation. if you want to go look up random numbers and spout them off like you know what you are talking about, that's fine, just brain vomit somewhere else, it stinks. I cant decide whats more stupid, assuming that Im stupid or trying to reinvent a conversation to make an irrelevant point. besides all that, the pike in PA have a much shorter growing season that pike further south of there. so you basically wasted your time for no reason. I didn't ask you how old a 19 inch pike in Pennsylvania was, and I didn't ask you how big pike fingerlings were when they were stocked. I stated very plainly what the land manager said and asked if anyone knew anythin

Favorite Answer

Pike will grow pretty quick if they have a rich source of food. I remember a few lakes/ponds here in Alaska that would get stocked with trout that also had pike and all they were doing was giving those pike a buffet when they were there to stock the trout. Those poor stocked trout stayed in the area they are put when they were shot out of a tube, so that just attracted the pike and they would feed on the easy prey. There was one place that they said pike were small one year then they went back two years later to see they have grown pretty big from having trout to feed on.

According to PA DNR, a 19" pike is about 1.4 years old, and according to the KS Dept. of wildlife, fingerling pike are stocked at 6-10" long, so they would have grown between 9-13", which is completely realistic.

• Nathan

If there is a lot of food, there is no reason why not. On bassresource.com, i read about a pond in florida, that in two years after stocking fingerlings in a newly built pond,they caught a 5 lber. If there is enough food, fish will just keep growing

Source(s): I fish
  • Andrew

Maybe 8 inches and you heard him wrong. Growing over a foot in one summer sounds insane. That's just unreal, but then again I caught pickerel up to a pound in one of the lakes that were empty last year here. . . That lakes also fed by a creek though which has pickerel.

Anythings possible though.

If certain species of sunfish and cichlids can grow over a foot in their first year, why not pike? As long as they maintain a high food intake, they'll grow as fast and as much as they damn well please.

They'll grow fast at first, but once they get to a certain size and age, just like most fish, their growth rate will eventually slow down.

Source(s): -B