POLL: Do you think there is still stigma about going to therapy?

BQ: Would you willfully attend therapy on your own behalf?

Main Question: Yes. The problem is that it costs money to educate people--and it's cheaper in hard economic times to keep people stupid. Especially when the deliberately stupid and their paid-for, kept stupid are all in charge.

Not to be harsh about it...I could say "uneducated" or "ignorant", but to the extent that this is deliberate policy to cut mental health services first and worst, several years in a row? "Stupid" as word fits--it conveys the malice of political people and the insurance racket that pays them on this issue. It conveys at least half of the decision making process that leads to mass shootings--the other half being the Evil Mastermind Club of Psychotic Necks over at the NRA. Stupid fits, exactly.

And it doesn't have to be like this. That's what bugs me: people were once this idiotic about asthma, allergies, diabetes, and lots of other unseen illnesses that as late as the early 1980s were routinely dismissed as "imaginary" or "laziness" or "malingering". We were once this dumb about things we now understand--and we got to understanding by acceptance, you know?

Not that Rich Old Men and their Pet Rednecks get this, but hey.

Bonus: I've done it before. I've had problems with depression and anxiety most of my life. Some therapy is more effective than others, clearly. But yeah, I'd go. If I had a fair chance I'd go, definitely.

• Tawny

There will always be a stigma over mental illness, people are just ignorant and unsympathetic just because they can't physically see something is wrong. If you have a broken leg or something people sympathise, but when it comes to the brain, they don't. I'm not ashamed, a lot more people are being open about their conditions these days.

Definitely..

There's a lot of stigma attached to mental illness, unfortunately

People need to be more educated..

BQ: Yes, if I felt I needed it

Yes.

I went for years and it didn't help. It ended up being a major waste of money.

Of course I would, why not. I am not worried about foolish or ignorant ideas that other people have.