The myth that atheists are Satanists?

I'm atheist, and I'm going to be honest. I don't believe in a "Satan" anymore than a "God"...so how is it logical to call an atheist a "Satanist"?

Explain, elaborate. Where did this misconception come from?

I'm guessing it's the whole "If you don't believe in the 'good guy', you must be rooting for the 'other guy' " line of thinking.

• Lance
    Favorite Answer

There is a Satanists website that claims "Satanists are atheists", so some people take that to mean all atheists are Satanists.

Satanists are atheists. Satanism is a subset of atheism that is a fact read the Satanic Bible and see for yourself, they admit it, and atheist groups and radio shows have had Satanists on because they are part of the atheist community

atheist just means not believing in a god and Satanists go beyond that and deny ALL things supernatural spiritual and occult

Of course the accusation that atheists are Satanist is one of the most ridiculous ever.

Satan is just another god thing, thus totally non atheist.

Because some theists find it unfathomable that someone might actually disagree with them, on an intellectual level, regarding the existence of God. Therefor they look for another explanation and end up blaming disbelief on Satan.

that is because it isn't logical, I believe in God, but there are people who over due it and call people who don't believe in their religion Satanists. That is why there is such thing as Jesus freaks, and that is why they call others Satanists. I dont care what others believe in, just dont rub it in my face. And you are getting rubbed in the face by others, dont let it happen, tell them that they have no idea what they are talking about.

modern preachers say this a lot...and shows why people were burned in Salem for being witches....when an authority figure preaches to people who have been raised to fear something and scares them--they will usually attack the things that scare them more...these preachers are unethical and dangerous.

why do intelligent Christians, who know better, not attack these sorts of discourse.

This is the reason I think Martin Luther was an extremely bad man, he stood as a figure of authority (isolated from the larger world) and blasted Jews and serfs who disobeyed their masters...millions died

Some people, either children or adults with childish minds, attempt to see the world in "this or that" opposites.

So to some, anything that isn't of god, is of satan.

' I'm guessing it's the whole "If you don't believe in the 'good guy', you must be rooting for the 'other guy' " line of thinking. '

this is a fact .

one is either with God ... or ... with satan.

The only people who believe in Stan are the Xtians themselves.

Tells it's own story.

Some people associate atheism with evil. Their only source of evil they believe is the devil. They then make the untrue connection you describe.