danielle asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

How long can someone go without sleeping?

I haven't slept in 4 days, and everytime I eat, I throw it up. And i'm really shaky and I lost my voice and I can't walk straight. But i'm not drunk or under the influence of any kind of drug/narcotic. I've tried to sleep and my mind won't stop racing and I can't fall asleep

• D
    Favorite Answer

Eventually you will shut down, despite any last efforts to stay awake. Even amphetamine users run into that "problem".

• Dan

I don't think the issue here is that you need sleep (the fact is, that you do!), but more importantly is the throwing up part and the losing voice/walking straight part. YOU need to get to a doctor as soon as you can, try one of those urgent care facilities, or an emergency room if necessary. My guess is that they will start with some kind of relaxing agent first, then try to figure out what is going on with you.

How long a person can go without sleeping varies from person to person. However, being sleep deprived is similar to being food deprived. A person can die as fast from sleep deprivation as from food deprivation making the continuous lack of sleep dangerous. Sleep deprivation puts you at risk of heart attacks, heart failure, stroke, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

According to the Australian National Sleep Research Project, the record for sleep deprivation is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes. But yeagh. I'm no doctor so I can't tell you what is wrong but you should seek help. Maybe try visiting a doctor, sleeping pills, or even just trying to relax. Hope this helps.

Oh man, that must feel awful! I did one all nighter, that's all it takes for me to go bonkers and completely stop functioning throughout the day, it feels awful. If i don't sleep two nights i'll start getting auditory hallucinations!

You probably have insomnia, and need to find ways to solve it, make drugs like sleeping pills your last option, if all else fails, but first google for a million ways to solve this

well obviously you wasnt drunk, cause if you were you would most definately hit the ground like a rock