What do you do at Police Academy "educational tests"?

I am 18, I graduated high school about a year ago but when I was a young teen my mother didn't put me in school for certain grades for laziness so my math/science is not great at all, mainly poor math skills. I am very smart and learn very quick and am very athletic and have a great work drive/motivation. What type of courses do you take from the police academy?

• J.W.
    Favorite Answer

Police academies can be very academically challenging. Students have to learn a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Just some of the things that students might learn in a police academy include arrest and booking procedures, preliminary investigation techniques, radio and communications, report writing, traffic investigation, and traffic enforcement, emergency vehicle operations, firearms care and safety, marksmanship, tactical manipulation with the sidearm and shotgun, and chemical agents handling, cultural sensitivity training, sexual harassment issues, media relations, stress management, disability awareness, community relations, tactical communications, hate crimes, missing persons, domestic violence, search and seizure, evidence, laws of arrest, crimes against persons and property, sex crimes, crimes against children, and other general criminal statutes falling under state and federal laws, physical arrest techniques, controls, and weaponless defense, patrol techniques and procedures, crimes in progress, building searches, vehicle stops, and use of force. Academies can also be very physically challenging. Best of luck!

Just to get accepted or sponsored into police academy, they give you a written test. It includes math, writing, English, vocab, etc. you must make a score of 80 or above just to get in. If I were you, I would take some refresher courses to sharpen your skills. I made a 99 on my test, but to me it was easy. I personally knew another officer friend of mine who got a 73 & he failed it. He said it was hard. They are all the same, but depending on your skill levels & how hard you study, this civil service exam (different in each state) must be passed before any academy can be Started. At least that's Texas law.

Source(s): Law enforcement 17+years