Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Should Catholics wait to have sex until they are married?!?

Hi, I'm 17 and catholic. I have always wondered if Catholics should wait to have sex until they are married?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is a matter for the individual to decide Anna.

The church used to say that you were damned for eternity if you did but they are starting to realize how silly this makes them look

• glcang
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If you are part of a group that has rules and you want to be a follower , then you have to decide how far you are willing to go with the rules. If you are abstaining out of fear , you need to ask yourself, fear of what?

A responsible person makes up their own mind . But they also are aware of consequences. I don't mean "sin", which is relative. I mean any and all possible consequences of their actions. Sex is a natural extension of love but the religions have made it taboo. Educate yourself and then decide what is right for you. There is a lot of fear out there. Much of it absolute nonsense. For example , read Memento Mori's fire and brimstone nonsense about fornication and damaging the soul.It is beyond ridiculous. You cannot damage your soul, no matter what you do. This is just more instilling of fear to get people to behave a certain way. It says more about the writer of the answer than anything else. Peace

• Misty
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes.

Actually everyone should, however many people either ignore this, or choose to justify why they don't want to.

Sex is sacred. It has divine purpose. God gave us sex so that we can participate, with him in the creation of new life, new eternal souls. Sex is meant to unite a husband and wife as one flesh and to bring children into the world. To remove either aspect is to cause sex to be less than God intended.

Sex outside of marriage requires the use of contraception, which means that you are using sex for selfish purposes and not in the way is was meant to be used. If you get pregnant, you have the choice to raise the baby alone or get married. Or if you are completely without faith, you can have an abortion and kill your baby.

This is why the divine purpose is within marriage. That way children are received with joy and in the context of love and family.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

For a Christian, fornication is also an encroachment upon the rights of his or her spiritual brother or sister. (1 Thessalonians 4:3-6) For example, professed servants of God who indulge in sex outside marriage bring uncleanness into the Christian congregation. (Hebrews 12:15, 16) Also, they deprive the one with whom they commit fornication of a clean moral standing and, if the other person is single, of entering into a possible future marriage morally chaste. They also stain the good record of their own family, as well as wrong the family of their sexual partner. Finally, they show a disregard for God, whom they have hurt by violating his righteous laws and principles. (Psalm 78:40, 41) Jehovah, in turn, will ‘exact punishment’ for all such bad deeds committed by unrepentant individuals. (1 Thessalonians 4:6) Is it any wonder, then, that the Bible tells us to “flee from fornication”?—1 Corinthians 6:18

Source(s): jw.org
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

No

The problem with waiting until you get married to have sex is that religious young people get married at far too young of an age simply to have " sinless sex "

• 7 years ago

Take it from experience, wait until you are married. It is a life changing thing and trust me you want to be absolutely sure that the person you give your virginity to is the one you want to spend your life with. God gave us the gift of sex to share with our spouse and it is something I am so glad I saved for my husband.

• JOHN
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Yes, then they can spurn birth control and produce as many little catholics as possible!

• Lance
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The men should wait, but Catholic girls are a lot of fun.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Everyone should wait to have sex until they are married.

And they should not get married until at least their mid twenties.

And marriage should be for life...not just till you get tired of the other person. Marriage is work...it is compromise...it is falling in love over and over again.

Or, as my Grandma put it...marriage is learning to see through one another and still enjoy the view...

• Yes they should. For in this way one not only preserves their individual integrity, But also they stop themselves from ctching a sexually transmitted disease that could leave them childless.

• Zardoz
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Catholics should do as their religion dictates.

Source(s): [n] = 10ⁿ
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.