Will an electric stove hurt my non-stick pans?

Shopping online for cookware, and read in the description for a Farberware set "stovetop compatibility: gas." My new apartment has a dreadful electric stove. should I not waste my money on a new set that might get damaged?

I'm concerned about the hot coils directly on the cookware. Would a smooth top be better?

The other answerer is correct. However, the coils on an electric stove can retain heat after the coil has been turned off. Once you have finished cooking something, remove the pan from the coil rather than letting it sit there. Finally, flat bottom cookware will work best with an electric stove.

The problem with electric stoves compared to gas is you have to become familiar with the temperature settings of each, regardless of what the dial says: medium low on some models is far from it. Gas flame can be seen, so it's easier. Your pans won't be harmed. Just keep a close eye on the dial settings while you're cooking to understand the output of each, and remember that when you turn it off, it retains a lot of heat, so remove it to another burner that's cool.

• Marduk

Non stick pans have heat limitations about 375F also do NOT Pam or any spray oils as they damage the surface of non stick pans. As Tbone says, Heat is Heat and I've been using electric for over 30 years with no problems as far as non stick pans are concerned. They do wear out after a time though, no matter what you do.

• Tbone

Heat is heat, no matter what the source. It won't hurt your pans under normal use.