Anonymous

Change legal guardianship in Colorado?

Hello,

I'm 16 years old and am hoping to change legal guardianship from my father to a family biologically unrelated to me. My father may be going to prison for a year one week from today, and he is the only one in my close family able to care for me. As it is now, if he were to be convicted, I would have to move to another state to finish my senior year of high school and move in with my distant uncle/grandfather. In order to avoid this fate, I would like to move in with a friend's family who lives close by. I have my father's consent to do this, I'm just unsure as to how I should proceed.

Thanks

Answers are great so far - I was also just wondering if I would have to go through court in order to do this. Like, would a simple letter from my father be sufficient, or is there actual paperwork involved?

• HJW

If your father consents to this YES you can move with friend's family. Besides who would check on you since you have nobody else. Get your father to write a letter authorizing you to move in sign it have another person witness/sign. Only thing CPS may look into this but I doubt it. Be sure once the letter is done to make a copy and keep separate. Good luck to you.

PS:

Came back to give a link on letter for consent: