melissa asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

What personal questions do psycologists ask on the first visit?

I'm going to see one soon for my anxiety and i just wanted to know what personal questions they will ask me. Thanks.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • M
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The first visit is a getting to know you visit. They will ask about your family history--about what it was like growing up. Did Mom and Dad both work, or was Mom in the home? What did they do for a living? Was there any drug or alcohol use or abuse in the home? Any history of mental illness? What about brothers and sisters? Are you the oldest, youngest, or somewhere in between? Any sibling rivalry going on? Was there a favorite? They'll ask about your relationship with your parents, whether you got along, or whether there was always conflict over grades, boyfriends, curfew and the like. They'll ask about school. Did you like school? Did you make good grades? What was your favorite subject? They'll ask about friends--whether you had just a few close friends or if you were a social butterfly. What about social stuff? Did you participate in school activities and social clubs, or were you a homebody? Dating? Are you seeing someone now? If you're an adolescent, they'll ask about all of this in the context of you living at home with your parents, having never lived on your own or experienced much of the world yet. If you're an adult, they'll ask you all this and add what things are like now in the context of your adult life--work, marriage (if you're married) etc. They're trying to get a picture of what things were and are like for you in the grander scheme of things so they have a reference point for when y'all start talking about your anxiety.

• 7 years ago

That depends entirely on the persons medical history.

A psychologist is there to help you. refusing to answer ANY personal questions will make your appointment a waste of time for the both of you.

• 7 years ago

they ask family history, whats going on y ur there

any sucidal thoughts

do u drink or smoke

things like that.

u have to fill out paper work on age weight etc.

• 7 years ago

What so you can prepare yourself to lie to them if it suits you, just go n be honest so they can do thier job properly

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

email me. Vanny1021075@gmail.com

Source(s): going throught it i have anxiety
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.