Telecaster saddles are high?

Like they're not parallel to the bridge? Is this normal? It doesn't sound weird but I'm wondering if this can cause problems in the future. I have a 6 saddle model btw

Favorite Answer

Are you sure you have though this one out? If the string height at he bridge was even/flat, you would have a problem.

Since the fretboard is not flat (it has a quite pronounced radius), you would either have middle strings that would be too close to the fretboard, or outer strings that would be too far above the fretboard.

The bridge saddle always follows the radius of the fretboard closely - usually with the bass side a little higher. Setting up the correct radius AFTER the intonation has been set (as Russell describes) is a vital part of a good, professional set-up.

Source(s): 45+ years of setting up, repairing, playing and dealing with guitars.

Telecaster, and any other electric guitar saddles, should be parallel with the bridge so far as the angle of each saddle. Collectively, however, they should closely mimic the radius of the neck. Am I being clear enough? Let me try again, the individual saddles should be level with the guitar, both directions, lengthwise and horizontally. However, they do not form a flat line when you look at them, they form a gentle curve as close to equal with to the neck radius as possible. This is the same for all electric guitars with individual saddles. However, a few electric guitars have flat necks, so in that case the saddles would be flat collectively as well.

Two things. Tootall gave you a good answer, too.

He's right, the saddles should have a height that mimics the curve of the neck, so the middle two will be the highest and the ones going outward will slope down a little.

Also, I've seen people refer to the intonation positions as high or not high enough.

so if are asking if the all should be in a straight line like this:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AN...

the answer is NO.

they will look more like this:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/thumbnail.asp?file=ass...

this adjustment makes sure that each string is perfectly tuned all the way up the neck.

it is called "intonation"

Source(s): 44 yrs guitarist/former pro musician/Fender player for 35 years