What health insurance options are available for a 19 y/o ?

I am 19 & a sophmore in college (nursing student).

Up & until I turned 19 I had health insurance. It allowed me to go to the doctor, dentist & eye doctor on the regular but after 19 it was like I was kicked off & only could get it back if I were to have kids.

Ido have 2 jobs (fastfood & retail) that I work on breaks & summers but they do not offer anything.

But yadayadaya, are there any options for college students ?

Well the good news is that if you don't work full time (which it sounds like you don't) you're probably below the federal poverty line and thus exempt from the health care mandate. The bad news is that if you wanted to buy from the marketplace you aren't eligible if this is true, unless your parents sign up and you get on their plan.

Check your income though, because if you make just barely above the poverty line then you can get a marketplace plan for next to nothing.

What you had before sounds like CHIP which is the state funded free insurance for children and pregnant women. If your parents had health insurance you could be on their plan. You could talk to your parents about seeing if all of you can enroll together through the marketplace.

You could also check with your college or university and see if they offer student health plans. The college I went to had a very cheap plan which was basically you get all your preventative care at the student health center and it didn't pay if you went anywhere else unless it was an emergency or you were referred.

Yes, there are options for college students. First, there are all the options that there are for everyone else. Second, there are also some options that are only for college students.

Everyone who is from 19 to 64 has the option to go to the insurance exchange for their state, and buy health insurance at the insurance exchange for their state, and pay however much the insurance costs, using their own money. This option is the same for someone who is a student and for someone who is not a student.

In addition, some (but not all) colleges offer additional options that are only for their own students. If you go to one of those colleges, then you have whatever options that college offers. You also have the options that everyone else (who is not a student) has.

If it stopped when you turned 19, it wasn't insurance - it was welfare.

Your options are:

1. get a full time job (second or third shift wouldn't interefere with your schooling) and get coverage through your employer

2. convince a parent to get a full time job with benefits through their employer, and have you added on (they'll have to pay for that)

3. buy insurance through a broker

4. attempt to buy coverage through the Obamacare exchange

5. go uninsured

There ya go! Those are your options. Pick one. There are no "specific" options for college students, unless your college offers you a plan you can buy into.

Obamacare gives you the right to be on your parent's insurance until age 26. idk how or why you got "kicked off."

You can technically go without insurance, but socialist leader Obummer will try to fine you. HE MUST BE OBEYED, and he has ordered you to buy his insurance.

Join the military. There you will get a full range of health insurance.

Source(s): "If you like your health insurance plan, you can keep your health insurance plan."