Which particular God did the Founding-fathers mean when they wrote ," IN GOD WE TRUST "... !?

When they said / wrote so , of course they never used any other religious scripture other than the Bible ...!

What does it mean then ....?!

Update:

Our friend mndapa1 says some details here saying that the Founding fathers had a great faith in Christianity :

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200701...

Update 2:

Dear (( sanity )) you are Too Much ...!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The founding fathers had nothing to do with it. That phrase started in the Sept 1862, during the Civil War. Two months later, a Reverend named M. R. Watkinson, strong-armed the Treasury Department into adding it to some of the money, arrogantly declaring that "God was on the side of the Union".

But it didn't become the "official" motto of the US until 1956.

• mila
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

The motto'in god we trust' was not used on our currency until 1864 on a 2 cent coin.

The founding fathers were not xtian, more probably deist. In deism, God doesn't concern himself in the affairs of people and there is no supernatural.

Read the Thomas Jefferson bible - he took all the miracles and supernatural out of the new testament and did not include paul or revelations. At the time of the founding fathers, paul was considered a raving lunatic.

Xtians need to give back the Jewish scriptures to the rightful owners by destroying the mistranslated old testament, and xtians shoul read their scripture in unadulterated form - just the new testament, without quotes from Jewish scripture to support xtian nonsense.

• 7 years ago

They didn't. Our founding fathers wrote "E pluribus unum", a far better national motto.

The US Congress replaced that with the divisive, exclusionary motto "In God We Trust" in 1956, during the anti-Communist witch hunts of McCarthyism.

• 7 years ago

Did they write it? I don't know for sure what your constitution says but the "in god we trust" was introduced on your money in the mid 20th century.

But the god in question is probably Jeebus, the holy (at least after the crucifixion) Jew.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

The founding fathers would roll in their graves if they saw that, after all they did to be rid of it.

That is an affront to our founding fathers, put there in the 50s for a silly reason.

Now ignorant people think it belongs there.

\It doesn't.

• 7 years ago

I'm not from the US - but wasn't that phrase introduced in the 1950s?

• 7 years ago

"In God We Trust" was added in the mid 20th century. I'm Australian and I know this.

• 7 years ago

They knew that money is reliant on people thinking it has value, they were praying that no one guessed it doesn't.

• sanity
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They spelt dog wrongly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.