How can we trust the words of the saints?

Jesus is the only man who is undoubtedly sent by God and is Godly.

But the saints: they were just very holy/righteous men. They were still human. (yes Jesus was human but come on, there's a difference between Jesus' humanity and our humanity right?)

So how do we know that the words of the saints in their various letters are not just their personal opinions on certain things, instead of what God actually means?

BQ: Why doesn't God show dramatic signs anymore? I mean, his voice coming down from the heavens when Jesus was baptised, people turning into pillars of salt etc. Why doesn't all that happen anymore?

• jeni
    Favorite Answer

Rev.20:7-9, when all are resurrected to be with Jesus 1000 years, then all evil must

end, the saints that really are saints, are the ones who remain, after all evil is gone.

All else is devoured by fire. So it seems that the saints is all that can be trusted.

Source(s): Bible.

- You "believe" that but have yet to prove that.

there's a difference between Jesus' humanity and our humanity right?)

- That is necessary for your paradigm, not proven though since anything said about Jesus or what he may have said was written 50 to 150 years after the fact from 10th hand biased hearsay.

- How do you know what Jesus said is nothing more than the opinions of the people who made up everything about Jesus.

BQ: Why doesn't God show dramatic signs anymore

- Intelligence prevailed.

people turning into pillars of salt

- Read the text that was plagiarized from and she turned into a puff of smoke.

Loaded question. The gospels and letters are opinions of the writers. They lived their life for God and under their teacher, the lord Jesus Christ. They were taught fundamental ways and doctrines and theology just like any student. These apostles then spread the word to new students.

They reflect each other in the histories told and the other written histories and theology. We read the inspired word of God to their intended audience. The books form a library of ideas and theologies.

It's based on what Jesus spoke of.

Why doesn't God do miraculous signs anymore? Probably because Jesus was his greatest and last sign. I really don't know. Faith is tested when you try find that miracle that stands out like a sore thumb. Find the smaller ones and see how much more satisfactory that is.

Ever watch Christian broadcasting channels, all kind of miracles are shown besides preaching. For example 700 club ministry catch when they not doing news but personal stories. My own story is one of healing as well as protection in a wreck where I was hit by a train, though I not on any major christian program, I run a small website where I share my testimony from time to time. However this is not what you looking for.

I think what you really wanting to know is how can you know for certain these old testimonies are real. How can you know Jesus is really who He claim. Jesus though He was and is the Son of God, He had human quality, felt hunger, felt sorrow, felt pain, and felt fatigue. He only show Godly power in healing and calming the winds, raising the dead and so forth. Yet what about Paul he got up from stoning in Acts and those that knew him thought he was dead and began to pray and he got up and walked. Disciples performed miracles and testimonies are recorded in Acts.

However it more then that, the consistency of the message of faith remains the same through out Old and New testament, The only thing to change was the sacrificial law, when Christ paid the price on the cross for sin. Sacrificial law was based on the law of the Old Testament, one had to meet the sacrificial condition for forgiveness and because the heart was not always in these practices, God remove the law of sacrifice but no the law of repentance. Repentance is still necessary today. Yet the Sacrifice of Christ on the cross paid for yesteday, today and tomorrow sin if one believes in Jesus. That is taking God's word for it that His Son purpose was to redeem or to mend our broken relationship with God. This message is through out the inherent/inspired word of God. This message changes not from Old to New Testament. Faith was always the key to being able to receive forgiveness with repentance.

• Beyond

If you do not believe in the inspiration of the Apostles, or the prophets before them, how then would you believe at all? ALL of scripture concerning God was written by them.

2 Peter 1:20-21

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

The reason you do not see Godly action any more is because your eyes are focussed in the skies, and God, since the resurrection of the Christ, has been working through His people in whom He has His Holy Spirit. It isn't that His hand cannot be seen, it is that you are looking in the wrong place, and you search for the dramatic display, and God chooses to express Himself otherwise.

No man calls upon God as if activating a genie to do the will of men.

Also, remember, when Jesus went to His home town and area there, He "did not perform many miracles there ---for their lack of belief."

Luke 11:29

As the crowds were increasing, He began to say, “This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah."

The most dramatic sign that can be obtained in this generation is the transformation of your own soul in the conversion from disbelief, to belief, and the resulting change in heart that accompanies that change.

Healings occur, but are rare, and not the product of some TV evangelical seeking funds for his church and pocket. Faith cannot be bought, or paid for, nor can it be administered by men, especially not for a price.

It is a gift from God Himself that opens the eyes of those with doubt, but who are seeking Him nonetheless.

This is clearly seen in Paul's teaching:

1 Corinthians 13:8-13

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy,

they will be done away;

if there are tongues, they will cease;

if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

If the gifts are done away, save for faith, hope and love... then seeking the signs of a more dramatic expression of God should be considered foolish.

That is not to suggest they do not exist, but that the liklihood you will actually witness one is highly suspect, especially if conversion has not been a part of your life as yet.

Those who claim such "gifts" falsely are false prophets and in all liklihood, in many cases they are unaware of it.

Source(s): The Bible

God talked through a donkey, I suppose He could talk through a few God fearing men.

• Heu... Perhaps GOD sent a son of man to testify/witness his son of GOD.... more likely....

Dont trust them. the saints have their own profit and facilities. that why they become saints. so how can you think that they give you right things.

so just believe in humanity and do you work.