Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 7 years ago

How To Use AirPort Express As A Network Extender?

I would like to use the most recent generation Apple AirPort Express as a network extender/repeater to my Netgear router. However, I need this to be done without an ethernet cable - so to extend the WiFi network via wireless connection - not wired. I don't have an ethernet port where I intend to extend the internet from.

I already have one AirPort set up on the opposite side of the building where I intend to set this one up from, although this is via ethernet. So is it possible to extend a network (From a non-Apple router) via WiFi, and if so how can this be done?

Thank you in advance :)

Favorite Answer

You can try a workaround.....not supported by Apple, so there are no guarantees of success.....to install an older version of AirPort Utility on your Mac. So, you will have two versions of AirPort Utility on your Mac, and you can use the one that you need.

There are several methods for this. See details in this thread by forum expert Tesserax:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21397085#213...

Another popular method is found in this link:

Installing the Old AirPort Utility (Version 5.6) on Mountain Lion | frank.is

If you can make it as far as installing AirPort Utility 5.6, Apple hides the WDS settings, since they do not want users to use them.

When you open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort router, then click Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab just below the row of icons

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the small arrow located on the right of the Wireless Mode settings box. Viola!

Airport Express As Extender

You need to set it to Bridge Mode...

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-up-apple-airpor...