Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Can a fictional story take places in real places not fictional ones.?

I wrote it in real cities, but most stories I've read, takes places in a fictional places. so just to double check, I'm asking this question.

Favorite Answer

Yeah, sure, just like marvel comics.

Yes, fictional stories can take place in real places. However, you have to make sure it reflects the city. That was one of the coolest aspects of the Divergent series even though it was science fiction. It took place in destroyed Chicago and the author talked about the el, the streets, and the buildings. Because I've visited Chicago numerous times it was interesting to create pictures in my mind.

• Ian

Most stories are set in real places, even many of those which change the names of the locations, it is much easier to work your story around a ready-made environment than to try to invent one from scratch. You should be aware that some pedantic readers will fact-check you so make sure you get the geography right. If you are going to use a specific environment it helps if you actually understand how it works, e.g. who does what around a railway station, or what kinds of people drive cabs (do they do it as a second job?). Remember if you are using a location you know you should make sure your characters are not recognisable as people you know, you can borrow bits from different people and re-assemble them to make new characters.

• cass

Well, yes.

It'll be like Forrest Gump; a fictional character that was involved in real life events.

Of course it can. Haven't you ever read a book that takes place in London or New York or Paris?

True