Child tax credit, born late in the year do I still qualify?

I had a baby November 2ndof this year. I didn't Change my w4 (I'm changing jobs the beginning of January so didn't see much point). Because he was born I'm November and didn't live with me half the year would I still qualify for the child tax credit? I have two other children that qualify if it matters.

Favorite Answer

As long as the child is born alive by 12/31/13 you qualify.

Yes, you'd still qualify. The requirement is 6 months or the entire part of the year that the child is alive, whichever is longer. For tax purposes, a child that lives with you from its birth until either December 31 or its death, whichever comes first, counts as a child that lives with you for 12 months (even though it was not alive that long).

• Bobbie

YES as long as child is born before midnight December 31 2013 then after you do get the SSN for that child you would have another QC dependent to be used on your 2013 1040 FIT tax return during the 2014 tax filing season when you and they can each meet all of the required rules that each one does have to meet for you to be able to qualify to claim each one as your Qualifying dependent at that time in your life.

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/29/2013

• tro

of course you can claim the child

a child born late in the year is still your dependent even if it didn't live in your household 6 months and the child tax credit does not specify any amount of time, only that the child was in the household and claimed as a dependent

Counts as being alive the whole year, you get the same benefit as if child had been born in January or any other month.

• Judy

Born anytime up to and including 12/31 counts.

• Fred

A newborn child is considered to have "lived with you" for the entire year.

As long as your income is high enough yes.