What is Extra-Terrestrial Life? And is it likely to exist?

Can i please have a Detailed information about What is this? what are these 'Aliens' ?

What are the chances that it exists? and whether does it not exist.

I want to get a scientific answer, can u please include Facts? And make ur answer long :P I want lots of info ! :D

+How can i get someone TO BELIEVE in this/these life-form/s.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Statistically, based purely on the size of the Universe, it is likely that alien life exists somewhere. However, it cannot be emphasised enough that despite various claims, we have absolutely no evidence for life of any kind outside the Earth's atmosphere. You ask for a scientific answer. I am a scientist by profession, but like all scientists I deal in evidence and until such evidence is produced, neither I nor any scientist can give a definitive answer to your question.

• Ewen
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Extraterrestrial life is, put simply, life of non-Terrestrial origin. Given that life happened once, scientists agree that there is a near-certainty that it has happened before. The disagreement is to how common life is, and if there are any other spacefaring civilisations out there, at least within a reasonable distance.

If the Copernican principle, which states basically that Earth is a fairly normal sort of place and not the centre of the universe in any meaningful sense, is true, then alien life basically must exist. The universe is just too big for it to not.

Honestly, the main arguments against extraterrestrial life existing at all are religious in nature. The best counterarguments you're gonna find are those made by officials within the religion itself. Islam, for instance, is traditionally pretty chill with the idea of extraterrestrial life; some Muslim philosophers have even speculated that it is mentioned in the Qur'an. Similarly, the Vatican has issued an official statement saying that the idea of extraterrestrial life isn't incompatible with Christianity. Stuff like that is your best bet if the person you want to convince is coming from that angle.

Do we have any non-mathematical proof, though? No, but we do have scattered evidence that is very intriguing.

One thing which is possible evidence, though nowhere near conclusive, is the famed Antarctic meteorite ALH84001, which is known to be of Martian origin, and has structures which have been speculated to be microfossils. This one is pretty controversial, though.

Another more recent bit of evidence is anomalous methane fluctuations noted on Mars and Titan. These are the sort of readings we'd expect to pick up if a biosphere was present. But there could be natural origins, too, so again, nothing conclusive.

Finally, we have my favourite, and the only one which is really indicative of an actual civilisation: the Wow! Signal. Back in the seventies, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) picked up a brief signal from interstellar space in the direction of Chi Sagittarii. It had all the expected signs of an artificial radio signal, and it was determined that the chances that it was Terrestrial in origin were nearly nonexistent. However, it was a one-time occurrence, and the receiver which picked it up wasn't equipped to actually receive the contents of the signal, so we may never know its true nature.

There have been other promising signals as well, but none quite as intriguing as the Wow! Signal.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Extra-terrestrial means "beyond the Earth". So extraterrestrial life is life that is on other objects in space besides the Earth (moons, planets, etc). That life could be microbes, plants, insects, or anything.

Alien is just a simpler term to mean the same thing, but most people use it to mean intelligent life forms.

The chances that life of some kind exists elsewhere is very good - organic molecules are very common in space, as is water and oxygen (things we know life on Earth uses).

We do not know if or where life exists - there has not been any detected anywhere yet.

Its not a matter of belief - there is no evidence yet that life exists elsewhere.

Source(s): I know how to search online for information and I can read
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

"Extra-" means outside, beyond, or in addition to. "Likely" does not apply because life is not a chance event.

You can not get anyone to believe in something if you can't show them one. What you are talking about is a science fiction fan club. You can find plenty of bullstuff material on the internet, but there is no information. Almost every sighting has been debunked, and the rest are indeterminate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Life other than earth and it does exist though we may never have any proof of it.

• 7 years ago

yes they exist. the universe is too big

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.