olive tree plants grown at home?

I'm looking to purchase an olive tree plant and have come across quite a few of them; however, I can't find any of these plants indigenous to Israel. The only name I've found so far is "Olea europaea," is this the only name given to every single olive tree? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

First of all, I do not live in Israel. I am sure it is a beautiful place. I am a lifelong citizen of the southeastern USA, 82 yrs. & counting.

My brother planted an olive seed 5 or 6 years ago and now has a tree about 20 feet tall (I am estimating). It has had some blooms and a few fruit. This may be what you will need to do, plant & grow your own olive tree. If you have anything similar to our Cooperative Extension Service, which helps us with our questions about flora & fauna in different areas of the US, please get in touch with them about a native olive. Another good resource would be a polytechnic university or college. Good hunting!

I think, since there are different types and sizes of olives you can buy to eat, that there are several varieties. The "olea europaea" seen in pictures seems to be the kind I also see everywhere here in Israel. I have encouraged my stepson to search for an olive tree to do bonsai with it but have not seen any in stores in my city. If you have come across a few of them why not buy one? I am going to keep looking as the photos I have seen of them as bonsai are beautiful.

• ?

you will find different types of olive tree for sale in almost every plants shop.