Butchering, Beef Cutting, Grinding question: What's usable or tasty fat on Beef?

I just ground beef for the first time the other day. Cleaned the meat from fat and silver skin. I grounded the beef meat with lamb fat which we can buy from the supermarket. The lamb fat is from the lamb tail which has really tasty fat.

On beef how do I know which fat I cut is good to keep or grind and which fat should be thrown away? Brisket for example has a spongy fat, the chuck had some solid fat and some crumbly fat, the rib eye has a slow to cook fat in the middle. The sirloin has that stubborn fat on its side which I don't think sears well.

How do I know what is gristle and what is fat? Or is it just throw anything that looks like fat and you're ok?

For example when making a burger I would like to have my cuts and fat separated then grind them together. Which beef fat should I use?

- Suet is a strong option but I saw an 18th century cooking video showing that after it's rendered its hard as a block. I'm not squeamish about my arteries but... take a look at the video yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypRsO9KdxXk

Youtube thumbnail

Also its a special item here, I think the butcher will raise his eye when I ask about it. Tallow seems like another option since it's stays softer but then again will that work for the burger?

- Leaving the fat on the meat, I think as I become more confident in my butchery skills I will, for now I'm cutting it to take a look at the meat below and keeping the fat on the side, I was just thinking what to throw out and what to keep. Also how can you remove the silver skin and keep the fat? I thought silver skin surrounds the muscle and the fat is on top of the silver skin?

- Note: Do not underestimate the fat from a sheep tail, it is so much in demand in the middle east its sold as expensively as meat and is a secret ingredient in m

Favorite Answer

I think the fat surrounding the kidney is the best to render and would work if added to the grind but normally ground is made from trimmings and leaf fat added. I would not have thought adding lamb fat to beef would be tasty even though I love lamb and have recipes for tongue and tail etc.

when we have home butchered in the dim distant past we left all the fat on the beef we were grinding!

I do not want even the tail fat from lamb on any meat whatsoever!

Ieave all the fat on the steaks as it gives them such good flavor.

gristle is whiter than fat so toss it into the dog box. do not throw away! cook dog bones and gristle and feed the furbabies treats.

• C.M. C

Faris, when I buy beef, I remove only the gristle, the membrane, I leave the fat on, chop the rest up and feed it into the grinder, I usually end up with a 60/40 blend, which is fantastic for burgers, meat balls.

I mix pork and veal, but never lamb and beef.

• kswck2

The only things I would suggest is to make sure the silver skin is cutoff. And to speak with a local butcher-not the supermarket kind as they get cleaned meat to cut up and sell. Rather some independent mom and pop store butcher. A wholesaler or perhaps you can contact a slaughterhouse for advise.

When I was younger (much younger) my in-laws raised and butchered their own beef. It has been so long ago that if I were to do it today I would contact a local butcher shop or meat market for advice. They ARE experts and would be the best source of information.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

you are

Source(s): i tasted