Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 7 years ago

How to read sheet music (piano)?

I've been teaching myself to play the piano by learning simple songs by reading the notes in letters. I know all the notes, but I just don't understand how to read sheet music.

I know the line notes are E G B D F, then the space notes are F A C E, but that's all I know. I don't know how to read sheet music like an expert.

Please simplify how to read sheet music, and thoroughly explain it.

Favorite Answer

Teaching yourself to play the piano is admirable-- and tough! BUT DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. It takes a little while to get comfortable with using both hands on the piano.

Here is a link to a piano method that I would suggest you try. It's designed for musicians who are learning to play on their own. The Michael Aaron series starts the piano beginner slowly at using both hands simultaneously. Most method books don't do that.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/series/mic...

The red Primer book may be too easy, but the blue Lessons Grade I may move you along quicker. The songs in the books are sequential and progressive, and you can go at your own pace.

That's it. You know how to read. Reading the notes is far, far easier than learning to read words. Now all you need to do is be ABLE to read. Just like learning to read words you need to practise - a lot. When you were first starting you had to sound out each letter, then each sound then got the word. Then you moved on to doing it syllable by syllable, while being able to know very simple words by sight and so on. It's the same with music - you'll learn common notes around the stave first, then learn the common ones above and below. It won't come fast, but then nothing worth learning is easy.

You can start reading sheet music by learning first! You could go to your local library or bookstore and pick up a beginners guide to playing piano or you could go on youtube or just get a piano teacher.

Like many things to do with playing a musical instrument, it's not a matter of having a question answered or having something explained to you. You have to learn how to do it. Finding the names of the notes on the bass and treble clefs is simple enough if you have access to the Internet, after that, it's up to you..

Just because you know the notes doesn't mean you're actually playing it you also have to know the chords, rhythm the only way really is to have a teacher

Source(s): High school band member trumpet

I would love to tell you how to read it, but I can't without writing a sizeable essay. A teacher is the best way to learn, or I'm sure you could find An e course that does so.

Good luck!