How do i reset my apple computer without actually getting into my computer?

So my dad got me an apple computer and he set up everything and then forgot the password to get into the computer. I have no clue what the password would be and he doesnt remember at all. I've tried everything and nothing has worked so far. How do i just reset the computer completely just like it came in a box? Help

Without knowing the version of OS X I can't give you a very direct answer, if I knew I could be more definitive with what I'm about to say. IF it is running Mountain Lion or higher, you can try doing the auto recovery method, I have never performed this to my own, so I'm not sure to what extent it recovers the computer. In Mountain Lion Apple added this feature, to access it you power off the machine, then when you restart it, hold the option key (option/alt) when you hear the chime, this should give you your boot options. IF it has Mountain Lion you should see 2 boot drives, one should be something like OS X while the other should say recovery partition, try using this to reset it. If this fails, you may either have an earlier edition of OS X, or require a backup for it to work, if so try to use another computer and read the following page, this will tell you how to create a bootable drive for OS X http://www.macworld.com/article/1167857/how_to_mak...

if you run into further complications you can contact me via email through my Answers profile, and I'll respond ASAP.

Find a technician and he will change your password and then write it on a sheet of paper if you wanna completely set it up again update your software and it will automatically restart and go on the setup for you computer.