Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Is it possible to learn a foreign language on your own and become fluent?

If you were to learn a foreign language, all on your own, with no help from other people, using only the web and a few books, could you become fluent the same way others do.?

Favorite Answer

It's better.

Learning a language as an adult to fluency requires substantial effort memorizing, reading, and listening on your own to learn it in any reasonable about of time. Classes are usually inefficient and trying to learn by socializing with native speakers by brute force doesn't work at all unless you already know the language pretty well already.

Technology is such that you can listen to native speakers on websites like youtube, get movies in any language cheaply, and get the latest information on usage from daily newspapers and digital dictionaries. There is no longer any need whatsoever to travel to another country to become fluent.

All you need is a few good grammar books with exercises, a good dictionary, and several novels and TV shows. Oh, and a lot of determination.

Source(s): I speak 6 languages fluently, I'm a professional translator, and I developed all these skills studying at home in complete absence of native speakers. I do not consider myself especially talented in language learning either.

As far as learning a new language is concerned, can I put in a word for Esperanto?

Although Esperanto is a living language, as an apprentice language it helps thelearning of other languages as well.

Five British schools have introduced Esperanto in order to test its propaedeutic values. The pilot project is being monitored by the University of Manchester and the initial encouraging results can be seen at http://www.springboard2languages.org/Summary%20of%...

Your readers might also like to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CwJ9I8q-L0

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=player_embedded#!

If you select to find out Chinese then you should know that Chinese language is without a doubt one of the hardest languages for westerners to learn, and up right up until now understanding to communicate Chinese to a degree of proficiency outside of the classroom setting has been nearly extremely hard but not if you pick a program

I would think with today's technology, one could be become proficient in grammar and writing in a foreign language. Speaking the language is another matter altogether.