Should I major in social work or communications?

I'm about to be a junior in college and I'm majoring in social work. I've had a change of heart bc I want a degree that will be more marketable. However, Idk if a communications degree would be worth it and if so what would my salary be like. I'm passionate about helping others but I also need to make a decent living without having to live paycheck to paycheck. Which is why I'm considering switching to a communications major. I need advice I don't know where I'm heading in life

Favorite Answer

Trance, ultimately it is best to figure out what specific jobs you want to do, do an online job search to see what degree(s) employers prefer for the job, and then do an online job search to see how many positions are open in your area and do a nationwide search as well to see whether you may need to relocate for a job once you graduate college. Indeed is a good online job search http://www.indeed.com/

I have both an undergraduate and graduate degree in social work, and contrary to what someone posted........not in debt up to my ears either. Nor do I live pay check to pay check. Whatever college degrees we get, we have to know how to use them to work for us. We need to know and learn how to network professionally, and how to check into ways to make college affordable. Scholarships, fellowships and assistantships in graduate school can pay your tuition plus provide a stipend if graduate school is something you wanted to pursue.

I believe that we must consider our personality as well when looking at careers. At the end of the day, you want to feel comfortable in what you do. It may help you to write down your goals, to include your dreams and also what makes you tick.

Just as a warning, Social Workers (especially ones that are just starting out) don't make much. Maybe 30-40K. You have to go to grad school to be a social worker, and grad school is expensive! So you're probably gonna be up to ears in debt, as is the complaint of most social workers at the moment. So, money wise, social work isn't really my best bet for you.

Now the problem with Communications is that it's broad, and usually teaches different things at different universities and has different standards and requirements. If you live in a big city or metropolis, the good news is that it should be pretty easy to find work after graduation. If not, not so much. That being said, I do know Communications majors who are extremely successful at the moment and making a lot of money because they looked into the right companies and make connections while still in college.

Just my opinion. You don't have to listen to is. Bottom line. Do what interests you, not what you think everyone else around you is doing or what you think is going to make you money but will also make you miserable. And don't just sit on your butt during the summer time. Look for internships relevant to your major. Even if it's just carting coffee back and forth and making copies, it gives you a chance to talk to people and make yourself known in a company. A lot of students get jobs through old internships.

Do what you love, and take the initiative. You do that, and you'll be fine.

Good luck

If your starting out in Junior college you have a lot of time to figure out what you want to do with your life but for now just say Communications because you can always do other jobs in the same field you have a much open space to work with. For example if tomorrow you finish college and want to work in Law enforcement instead of Social worker then you can or be in politics or watever else you have in mind with helping others, just remember though you might wanna go for a Masters if you dont want to live paycheck to paycheck and always look for INERNSHIPS!!! .

Source(s): Communications Major

Communications works for both... most nonprofits need people who can do things like organizing charitable events, their website, direct mail, etc.. At the same time, you can also work in the corporate sector with a communications BA... marketing, PR, advertising, training.

Social work and psychology can be minors.

• ?

The root cause of the problems faced by every country in the world, is the sad fact that Hypocrisy reigns supreme in national and International Politics including the UN, and in every single religion - without exception ... Consequences : Might is right in Politics and society, leading to injustice, corruption, and misery - all round except for the mighty and their lackeys. Solution : True, meaningful, vibrant, accountable, transparent, grass-root Democracy ... Is this possible ? God alone knows !