Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

Bad side affects of bulimia?

So I have bulimia but I'm wondering what are the negative side affects. I wear my retainer when I purge so I don't damage my teeth but is there anything else that can really happen? I sing a lot.. Would bulimia affect my voice?

Here's a start:

When you are living with bulimia, you are putting your body—and even your life—at risk. The most dangerous side effect of bulimia is dehydration due to purging. Vomiting, laxatives, and diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances in the body, most commonly in the form of low potassium levels. Low potassium levels trigger a wide range of symptoms ranging from lethargy and cloudy thinking to irregular heartbeat and death. Chronically low levels of potassium can also result in kidney failure.

Other common medical complications and adverse effects of bulimia include:

◾ Weight gain

◾ Abdominal pain, bloating

◾ Swelling of the hands and feet

◾ Chronic sore throat, hoarseness

◾ Broken blood vessels in the eyes

◾Swollen cheeks and salivary glands

◾ Weakness and dizziness

◾ Tooth decay and mouth sores

◾ Acid reflux or ulcers

◾ Ruptured stomach or esophagus

◾ Loss of menstrual periods

◾Chronic constipation from laxative abuse

Death, don't worry about your teeth honey, you see when you throw up the stomach acid is actually slowly deteriorating your throat (flesh) every time you throw up! so when you are on the verge of life and death and try too eat again you see you cant because it would become extremely, and I do mean extremely painful to swallow the most softest foods or even drink anything but water! So you would be dying by starvation because you literally wouldn't be able to eat! It wouldn't be taken so seriously if it only affected your teeth and hair, its taken seriously because it leads to death

Ok. Daniel L said it all.

Source(s): RGN