Why does Skype play through headphones and play other stuff through speakers?

Whenever I'm in a Skype call, it plays the call through my headphones and forces everything else, like YouTube or iTunes, to speakers. I've been trying to make it so everything plays through my headphones and nothing plays through my speakers. I've set my headphones to default device multiple times, set Windows to "Do Nothing" when it detects communications, neither the headphones or speakers are set to Exclusive Mode, and I've set Skype to specifically use my "Communication Headphones" for both speakers and ringing. As far as I know, Windows is telling me I have Skype 6.11. I've done a few extensive Google searches, and doing everything suggested has done nothing to help. My laptop has Beats audio, so maybe that's something. I've noticed that under Control Panel > Sound > Playback, it says "Speakers and Headphones" and "Communication Headphones." Maybe the fact that it's "Speakers and Headphones" instead of just "Speakers" has something to do with it. I really don't know what it could be and it really bothers me that I can't listen to music and partake in a Skype call at the same time. Thank you for reading and possibly solving this conundrum. :)

The computer is an HP Pavillion m6 Notebook PC.

Sean, I tried going through the process, and it somehow made YouTube and iTunes basically freeze up.

Favorite Answer

I've had this problem before, what I did is disabled my computer speakers and set my headset to default and then go into Skype and change your audio output to your headphones.

Wild guess here, you have a HP Pavilion laptop?

It seems to be a common problem with HP Pavilion laptops.

Hope this works, I can't quite remember what I did.

Source(s): I own a HP Pavilion which has had the same issue.