Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 6 years ago

What is safer? SUV or minivan?

I currently have a 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV. It's got a lot of miles on it and gets poor fuel economy, so I am looking to trade it in. I have two small children who are 5 and 7, and my husband is wanting me to get a Honda Odyssey. We're looking at getting a 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite. It has a lot of the new safety features on it. My question is, yes it has 5 star safety ratings in every category by IIHS, but what is a SUV hits me? Who is going to fare worse? I want what is going to be safe for my kids. I am having a hard time with the whole mini van thing, but if it is going to be safer than what I have than I would drive the van. Anyone have any statistics they can point to which would be safer?

Favorite Answer

My favorite statistic on SUV vs minivan compares two vehicles that were actually the same, except for the names. However, the ones that were called SUV had more accidents than the ones that were called minivan, even though they were exactly the same, except for the same. There was only one difference: mothers bought the ones called "minivan" and drove carefully, and single guys bought the ones called "SUV" and drove carelessly. The point is that statistics comparing minivans and SUV's don't tell you which is safer. Minivans have fewer accidents, but it's because minivan drivers are so much better than SUV drivers.

Your Cadillac is not that old, but if your main concern is safety of your passengers, get the Odyssey.

If the Escalade and the Odyssey were involved in a collission, I would bet that the Escalade would have minimal damage , but have lots of blood on the inside. The Odyssey would be destroyed, but the passengers would walk away.

• Barry

SUVs typically have a higher center of gravity than minivans and are more likely to be in rollover accidents. Rollover accidents are statistically dangerous with high injury and death rates. The minivan will be safer.