Is this CPU worth it?

ok so my sys specs are

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1 core 2 logical processers

and a Intel 82945G Express Chipset family graphics card 260MB

With 4GB of memory

So would upgrading my CPU help lag the most?

heres the link

http://www.amazon.com/Athlon-240-2-8GHZ-45NM-4000M...

I'm getting around 10 FPS on minecraft :(

Help.?

Favorite Answer

That CPU is incompatible with the motherboard that you are currently using. If you could post the exact model of the motherboard we will gladly help. Most likely, you will not have much choice besides a slightly faster P4 or a Pentium D.

Your best bet is to purchase a dedicated GPU as it will increase game performance dramatically.

@Zack

You can replace the CPU on most laptops. The only downside being that you are constrained due to heat and power consumption. I have personally upgraded laptop CPUs many times. I hate it when ignorant people keep propagating the myth of non-upgrade-ability on laptops. You can also change GPUs on gaming or workstation laptops, ie: If I get bored of my AMD M4000, I can just swap in a Nvidia k2000m

First of are you on a desktop or are you on a laptop. If you happen to be on a laptop then you are out of luck. On most laptops it will be difficult to upgrade parts as there is a lot to take into account.

Here are the minimum req. for Minecraft

CPU : Intel P4

RAM : 2GB

GPU : Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent with OpenGL 2.1 Support

HDD : At least 100MB for Game Core and Sound Files

Before upgrading your hardware it might be worthwhile to make sure its not a software issue. Updating drivers which can be done through Intel's website and making sure you have the correct version of java installed.

If you have verified it is definitely not a software issue then if you choose to some hardware, and this is where it gets fun. You meet the req. for the minimum of CPU so that's not your issue. In my humble opinion in might be time to install a 1 gb GDDR5 graphics card.

You could skim by with a 512mb but I would recomend a 1gb because it will get you that 60 Frames and you could have longer viewing distances.

The best one I can find for the price is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

Hope this helps

Source(s): General computer knowledge

Just to be clear if this is a laptop simply speaking you CAN NOT upgrade or change your processor on a Laptop!

Now even with a desktop You cant change from INTEL to AMD processors, You need to change the motherboard and make sure chipsets are the same as the motherboard.

if its a desktop and the socket is lga 775 than you can most likely upgrade to a Pentium d/dual core or core 2 duo and maybe even core 2 quad. and get a graphics card with 512 mb mem or more + dx 10.1 or higher and open gl 3.0 or higher.