Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 7 years ago

What gauge wiring kit should i use for my amp in my car? and fuse?

I have a 2013 Jeep Patriot, I have Kenwood KAC-5001PS 1000 Watts Peak/500 Watts RMS Mono Block Class D Car Amplifier , 2 of Rockford Fosgate R2D4-10 Prime R2 DVC 4 Ohm 10-Inch 250 Watts RMS 500 Watts Peak Subwoofer also a kenwood head unit installed for some odd reason my AMP light stays red and no sound is being put out but today for at least 25 secs my subs were putting out slight sound what should I do please help?

Favorite Answer

A 4 gauge wiring kit will do the trick unless your planning on Upgrading your system in the future.If so i'd use an 0 gauge. No matter the choice a distribution block should be installed on the end closest to the Amplifier itself. As for a fuse the wiring kit picked should come with the fuse already sized.A curcut breaker is best,fuses are a pain in the butt. a 150 to 250 Amp Curcut breaker is fine.Peak power ratings are meaningless and should seldom be reached,it's the (Continuous RMSw's) is the numbers you should be using to match up this type equipment.In newer car's and trucks their may be other functions running threw the same harness as your factory stereo,I would say you should be checking in with any car audio installer to make sure your not missing something. Information is free.Also you should be checking out Youtube in the car audio section,they have just about every car audio install known to man. Katell is very pretty but very lost as far as car audio goes.

Source(s): installer

Does the red light mean bad news? If so, the other advice is about right. I'd try turning it on with only the power wires connected, though. That way, you can start a process of elimination.

PS never hook/unhook rca's while amp is on. It can fry the input side of your amp.

if your red light is on your amp is in protect mode. . It can go into protect because of heat wrong settings short circut ,internal damage alot.. check all wires make sure none are touching. make sure ground is to bare metal only.check that your power cable isnt pinched some wheres. check your subs wiring make sure it is hooked up properly and you have not hurt the subs. check rca cables [if using them] are tight. but sounds like a problem in the subs or wiring.

put the speakers out and hook up the amp wires. there might be a short out some where. trace (go thru) ur wiring. Hope this helps

Source(s): The expertise mind & knowledge of Katell