Is a foreign language SAT required?

My parents are telling me to take the Chinese SAT next year in eighth grade. (I'm a native Mandarin speaker, if this info helps.) I've been noticing a lot of people say that ethnically Chinese people take the Chinese SAT and score 800 all the time, so it isn't even going to look impressive to colleges, and after a Google search, I have not found any evidence that you have to take a SAT subject test on a language. I'll be taking the SAT subjects later on with math level 1/ level 2, and history, you know, all those other subjects.

I'll be starting a new language in high school, so it would be too late then to take the SAT on that.

I know I need to take an SAT subject test, but does one of them have to be on a foreign language?

Thank you for answering.

• Grace

Policies vary at different colleges and universities. Take the Chinese test but look at the practice test first. Yes, you would be expected to do very well. However, that would also look good on your record and probably meet the subject test requirements at some colleges and universities.

There is really no hurry to take this test tough. Be certain to do practice tests first to know what to expect. Since it is not designed for native speakers, it may have some surprised in it for you. Taking it and not doing well would not be a good idea at all.

• Dick

You don't have to take it. Most colleges don't even look at it if you're Chinese. Average score is actually 790 for Chinese. You're right, even an 800 isn't going to look impressive. Most colleges also don't even look at math level 1. So, I recommend:

Math Level 2

History/Bio/Chem/Physics (Depending on your intended major)

Not all colleges require you to take SAT subject tests (Only top colleges like Harvard or Duke make it a requirement), but many colleges prefer it. No college requires you to take a foreign language, as far as I know. Most do make Math level 2 a requirement, though.

Definitely not. Most competitive colleges require subject tests but don't require any particular one. It would only be necessary if you wanted to pass out of a language requirement, but the policy about that is different for every school. However, I think it could be valuable for you to take the test anyway, because colleges may value bilingual students. But I also think it would make more sense to take it junior year of high school with the rest of your subject tests, not in eighth grade.