Despite our widely held cynicism, can you envision a world where leaders governed responsibly?

...and where people of contrary views could engage in civil and constructive debates?

In your opinion, what do you think is the greatest obstacle in the way of your vision coming true?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Sarah
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I used to believe that most republicans were capable of engaging in civil, constructive debates, but the majority now use fear mongering and straw man arguments as "facts". Many republicans believe that trashing the American people....calling full time American workers "lazy" claiming that half the nation "hates America" and "only wants free stuff".....will somehow win over voters.

I think the greatest obstacles in overcoming this problem is the fact that republicans have won on this rhetoric in the past....so it makes sense that they would continue to use it. Bush started this when he ran against Kerry, increasing the color coded terror warning for "unspecified threats" (which magically disappeared weeks later) every time Kerry's poll numbers increased, Bush used black or white rhetoric which republicans successfully capitalized on to win elections......with us or against us, for the Iraq war or siding with the terrorists, hate us for our freedoms, opposing the president while we are at war is unpatriotic, and barbed wire free speech zones.

I also think that pithy talking points make much better soundbites than do actual discussions on the issues. Thus, "hate us for our freedoms" gets far more air time with the media than "our foreign policy has created a situation where we are perpetually involving ourselves and our military in countries that do not want us there. This, along with our actions while in those countries, has caused people of those nations to become highly angry by our actions, and they are now....and have been for many decades...seeking retribution for our actions. It is also much easier for Americans to understand talking points than to actually face facts and seek out all of the "gray area" solutions to our problems that are never strictly black or white and never solved with strictly black or white solutions.

• 7 years ago

Just thinking about this question made me so depressed I almost didn't bother to try answering it. Then I saw the only other answer and remembered why. Sigh....

I'm afraid the areas for reasoned discourse are so limited that any solution they came up with would be rejected by yahoos who insist that their ideology is the only right one.

I can only imagine an institute high in the Himalayas where great minds come together and think about problems from all different directions. Eventually, the best solution would be worked out, but if it required, as it probably would, change to large parts of society, it would be shot down in a heartbeat.

• 7 years ago

Not as long as there exists a "political class".

... The only persons who could "govern responsibly" would be those who would be drawn into the political arena from the general population and be given power for the briefest period as would be consistent with proper governance. - The Romans (during the period of the Republic) considered 1 or 2 years to be enough; but, in our present circumstance, I think that 6 or 8 would be more than sufficient.

• 7 years ago

There is NO way there can be civil politics because politics is about battling sides reaching a compromise. Human emotion is the factor that eliminates civility within life. Human passions and wants get in the way of loving one another. Unless we can create a utopia, there is no way politics can be civil.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • James
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The trouble with leaders is that they engage in politics. Now, I took the trouble to look up the definition of the word-----politics. Politics stems from the Greek word POLY-----meaning many-----and TICKS-----meaning blood sucking parasites. So, responsible leaders would have to refrain from engaging in politics in order to be successful and effective. The populace would have a rosier glow to their cheeks, as well.

• 7 years ago

For a constructive debate you have to have a belief that the other side at minimum has good intentions or might have something worth talking about implementing. Until the Democrats abandon their Liberal positions, neither of those fit.

• Gary F
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The greatest fear America's founders had for the long-term success of the nation that had created was that, eventually, a disinterested and intellectually lazy public would elect politicians even more greedy, selfish, and stupid than themselves -- and that makes >Liberals Love Censorship and other idiots their worst nightmare.

• DON
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Hell no never gonna happen, talking doesnt work. Most of the time it requires the threat of action ...sorry but that "nice" crap wont ever work just look at the UN, they accomplish nothing of value and all they do is talk and hand out food

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

5 percent of the race,,

are buzzards,,who will clobberya when you aint lookin

a peaceful,non violent non corporate,utopia,,never been,never will be,

,unless some egghead figgers out the defect in following social norms of comportment is in the brain base,,a clump of cells driving the imperative of species preservation

or,,we are the progeny of aliens,whose brain construct is superior to ours,,

or,,the biblical god reigns,,and we in a bigole ....heapo trouble

• Jethro
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Sure, if we make bribery or theft in office a capital offence.

Right On Sarah

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.