what specific documents do you need to buy a car?

I really want to buy a car, but I don't know how and what I need to get one.

Plz help.

Favorite Answer

Depends on whether you buy from a dealer or individual, and whether you need a loan.

If you buy from an individual, you need cash. You should get (from the seller) the car's title. It's also a good idea to write up a Bill of Sale.

If you buy from a dealer, you'll need cash or check. You'll also need a photo ID and proof of insurance. The dealer will file for your new title, tags, and registration.

If you need a loan, you'll need a down payment in cash or check, and you'll fill out a loan application. You may or may not be approved depending on your age, income, and credit score.

a lot of little green documents with Ben Franklin's picture is all I ever needed to buy a car.

But make sure when you buy it, you get a Bill of Sale, and a properly signed off Title. Do the entire transaction at the DMV or a bank, they are quite helpful.