Zack asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 7 years ago

If I miss the open enrollment for my employer insurance, can I use the Obamacare marketplace?

The open enrollment period for my workplace insurance ended on December 3rd. Does that mean I should go for the Obamacare marketplace, or am I out of luck?

Update:

Note that I do not currently have insurance through work, nor did I have it before since it was expensive.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You're obligated under the healthcare mandate to have health insurance. In most cases Obamacare is much more expensive than employer insurance. Your 'out of pocket' amount will likely be much higher through the exchange ... but you have to buy it anyway.

There's a not-quite-a-joke among hospital workers that says "if you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until it's free". True words!

• ?
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

I recommend one to try this site where onel can get rates from different companies: http://help-insure.net/index.html?src=2YAabyK77de

RE :If I miss the open enrollment for my employer insurance, can I use the Obamacare marketplace?

The open enrollment period for my workplace insurance ended on December 3rd. Does that mean I should go for the Obamacare marketplace, or am I out of luck?

Update: Note that I do not currently have insurance through work, nor did I have it before since it was expensive.

Follow 4 answers

• Kini
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No, you can enroll between January 1 and March 31 in the marketplace.

• 7 years ago

You can use the marketplace, but you may have to pay full price (instead of getting the subsidy) if the insurance at your workplace met the definition of "affordable".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Sure you can! But you likely won't qualify for a subsidy - so you'll be paying that full premium out of pocket. Ouch.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.