Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 7 years ago

I need help with a Canadian citizenship!!?

It's a long story so here is the short version.

I was adopted as an infant (Closed adoption.) and according to some documents I found...I am supposedly Native Canadian...I am in the process of a DNA test to see my ethnicity. If I am Native Canadian...What would be the process that I would need to take to have a citizenship there? Also if I am able to get it... are there any benefits or services for the natives?

6 Answers

  • SteveN
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    DNA test results report will be like bring a Skor wrapper to any citizenship hearing. The DNA results (not the wrapper) may actually tell you that you have 1.64% Norwegian ancestry, but that does not make you a citizen of Norway.

    What is important is the paperwork you are able to produce regarding your birth. If you were adopted by American parents but your birth certificate shows that you were actually born in Canada, then you MIGHT have a case for obtaining Canadian citizenship.

    As for why you might choose to gain dual citizenship (American-Canadian), the answer is simple. As just an American, you have no legal right to even visit Canada. But with dual citizenship, you can work and live in EITHER country. And if you have lived in Canada long enough, you qualify for various provincial or federal programs, such as the universal healthcare system, social insurance (welfare), and maybe a pension.

    I really don't think proving you have any First Nations (Native Canadian) blood in you will really help. But if you can prove (through paperwork) that you were actually taken from a First Nations, Inuit, or Metis family and adopted by US parents, you might be able to get help in your efforts to get citizenship. Here's an example from Manitoba.

  • 7 years ago

    "according to some documents I found...I am supposedly Native Canadian..."

    Supposedly, eh? You'll be laughed out of Canada if you claimed that. You should probably know that Canadians and the US sees their Native population in very different lights. People claiming to be 1/64 generokee won't fly here, and Natives face daily racism.

    "I am in the process of a DNA test to see my ethnicity."

    No bands accept DNA test as proof of anything, so there's no need to waste your time and money. Just follow the paper trail, it's the only way to find solid proof.

    "If I am Native Canadian...What would be the process that I would need to take to have a citizenship there?"

    If you can actually prove you have Native ancestry, sometimes you can get dual citizenship if your Native Nation is divided by the border. I know a Maliseet chick from Maine who moved to NB easily because it's her Nations territory...but if you can't prove you're a member of a border nation; it's the same as everyone else - Native or not.

    "Also if I am able to get it... are there any benefits or services for the natives?"

    JFC. You sound like a White Canadian already, so you'll fit right in.

  • 7 years ago

    Long story short. You DNA may prove who you are related to. It will not tell you their CITIZENSHIP.

    Summit you immigration paperwork you received when you crossed into the USA or do you think you are part of some cross border smuggling ring.

    Citizenship is not granted based on tribal ancestry. Fill in the Forms and insert your DNA stuff at the place indicated on the forms.

    Yes there are services for Native Canadians. Will you qualify for them? Maybe depends on your tribe.

    The Jay treaty is not with Canada.

  • Jeff H
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    First of all you cannot claim to be a Status Indian in Canada on the basis of DNA testing at least as far as membership in a First Nation or Tribal community. In order to do so you have to be able to prove that you are a direct descendant of a band member and eligible under their rules for membership.

    If you were born in Canada and adopted outside of the country then you are eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship. If you can prove that your birth parent(s) was/were Canadian Citizens at the time you were born, even if you were born outside of Canada, you are eligible for Canadian Citizenship. Proving that you have native ancestry however does not guarantee you Canadian Citizenship as, especially in the case of first nations people living on or near the border, many have family on both sides of the border so proof of ancestry in one country by DNA testing is virtually impossible.

    If you can prove that you are a Canadian Citizen you will then have to show evidence that at least one of your parents was registered under, or eligible to be registered under, Section 61 of the Indian Act or both parents were registered under, or eligible to be registered under, Section 62 of the Act. If so then you will then be considered to be a Status Indian and eligible for certain benefits while in Canada.

    Benefits for First Nations people include limited health and dental care and certain tax benefits for items purchased or services received while on reserve land. A Status Indian (one holding a government issued Status Card) is exempted from federal and provincial taxes for goods or services purchased on reserve. In some cases however the First Nation controlling the reserve may have put a tax structure into place. If this is so then a Status Indian is not exempt from this tax. A First Nations individual, working on reserve land, is generally exempted from provincial and federal income tax and may be exempt from payments to the Canada Pension Plan (although in this case no payment means no Canada Pension).

    You do not have to be a member of a First Nations group in order to receive the above benefits however unless you are accepted as a member you do not have the right to live on their land except as a tenant. First Nations people do not technically own reserve land however they may be granted a Certificate of Possession which is as close as they can come to owning reserve land. If granted they can use the land for a variety of purposes. Land not covered under a certificate is owned by the First Nation and generally controlled by the Chief and Council.

    Note that rules vary depending on whether the First Nation has a treaty with Canada as a treaty can define eligibility for specific rights including exemptions from rights under the Indian Act.

  • C.M. C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Erica, not in your case, you need strong back up to go down that road. If your outside Canada, you need to go to your closest Canadian representative office, with all documents pertaining to your case, they will give you some direction.

    I can tell you right now, been applications similar to your case, and I estimate we have rejected 95% of them.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, plenty of benefits in Canada...

    - poverty, inequality, rudeness, diseases...

    Just for start you receive a free STD and minimum wage 60 hours a week work...

    Be happy enjoy!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.