?
Lv 5
? asked in SportsFootball (American) · 7 years ago

Jim Schwartz or Jason Garrett: Which of these two head coaches has more of a case to keep his job?

Discuss.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jason Garrett. His excuse is lack of talent.

Jim Schwartz has been here five years and has an overall record of 29-51. That's good enough to get you fired on 31 teams around the league. Lions had the easiest 2nd half schedule in the league and went from 6-3 in first place, to looking at a top 10 pick with NO injuries what so ever. That alone should be enough to get him canned.

@Chaos - The Lions are going after a QB coach who will help dough boy fix his mechanics, footwork and work ethic. Quarterbacks weren't exactly Ryan's strong suit in New York...

@Chaos - His lack of work ethic is on Jim Schwartz. It's the head coaches' job to make his players work hard. Sign me up for a head coach like Bill O'Brien or Tony Dungy who will help him on two levels. And our D has been solid all year, minus the turnovers.

• 7 years ago

Jason Garrett. Why? Because Jerry Jones promised he'd be back for next season and he is far too proud and arrogant to go back on his word. Every coach since Jimmy Johnson has just been one of Jones' puppets anyway and whether or not Garrett goes doesn't affect much as long as Jones is still pulling the strings.

Schwartz appears to be incapable of running a disciplined team as the Lions are constantly taking penalties and seem to tune him out most of the time. The Lions need to find someone who runs a tighter ship and has experience working with QBs. Stafford could be very good if he just cleaned up his mechanics and stops with all the turnovers.

• 7 years ago

Coach Comparisons:

Schwartz: 47

Garrett: 47

Wins (Regular Season):

Schwartz: 29

Garrett: 30

Loses (Regular Season):

Schwartz: 50

Garrett: 26

Ties (Regular Season):

Schwartz: 0

Garrett: 0

Winning Percentage (Regular Season):

Schwartz: .367%

Garrett: .536%

Postseason Records:

Schwartz: 0-1

Garrett: 0-0

Super Bowl Rings (As Coach or Player):

Schwartz: 0

Garrett: 2 (As a player with Dallas Cowboys)

*All Stats as of Week 16, 2013

2010 Record, Place Finished in Division:

Lions: 6-10, 3rd in NFC North

Cowboys (Garret was the intern, team went 1-7 under Wade Phillips): 5-3, 3rd in NFC East.

2011 Record, Place Finished in Division and Percentage:

Lions: 10-6, 2nd in NFC North, .625%

Cowboys: 8-8, 3rd in NFC East, .500

2012 Record, Place Finished in Division and Percentage:

Lions: 4-12, 4th in NFC North, .250%

Cowboys: 8-8, 3rd in NFC East, .500%

2013 Record, Place Finished in Division and Percentage:

Lions: 7-8, will finish in 3rd or tied for 2nd, .467% as of week 16

Cowboys: 8-7, will either win division or finish 2nd, .533% as of week 16

Conclusion:

Although the win-lose record isn't close to even, I think the coaches both have an equal case. Schwartz has one playoff berth in five seasons, but his team has miserably under performed under him. Garrett has no playoff berth, but for the most part, the Cowboys have been average under him. Both teams are extremely talented and have could be franchise QB's in place along with highly talented players. Neither of the coaches are getting done what the fan base or the owner wants done and both should be at risk of losing their jobs. Both coaches have teams that should be around the 10-6 to 13-3 area, but one is out of the playoffs and the other is lingering on the verge of it. I think both teams should move forward from their respective coaches.

• Chaos
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They both suck. One's the ultimate yes-man and the other STILL can't fix the little thing head coaches are responsible for like discipline, penalties, drops and turnovers.

Both the Cowboys and Lions are top 10 in terms of talent.

They both deserve to get canned. But I think Schwartz deserves to get fired slightly more since Garrett is basically Jerry Jones as owner, GM and coach, so you can't really blame him.

I really do not want Rex Ryan gone from the Jets and I'll be sad, disappointed and mad if he is, but if Woody and Idzik make the horrible mistake of letting Rex walk, I hope he goes to Detroit. He'll teach those guys how to properly play football and the Lombardi trophy is the limit with Rex in Detroit.

The Lions' defense isn't exactly spectacular either. Imagine the kind of things Rex can do with it. And fixing dough face's (previously known as "Mr. 5000" or "Matty Ice") mechanics and work ethic (pathetic honestly that this even needs fixing) is the OC's and QB coach's job, not head coach's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MFFL
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Jason Garret. Philadelphia has played pretty well the last two months, and that Dallas defense is just awful, to no fault of Garret's. While, Detroit has one of the most talented teams in the league, especially on offense. They were in the driver's seat to win the division, then Cutler AND Rodgers got hurt for extended periods of time, and come Week 17, they already eliminated from playoff contention. There is no reason Jim Schwartz should keep his job. I don't think Garret should either, but he does have more of a case.

• 7 years ago

I think Garrett has a better chance of keeping his job because Schwartz's Lions

had a seemingly insurmountable lead in the NFC North and then pulled a

meltdown not often seen in the NFL.

• 7 years ago

Jason Garrett.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Jason Garrett has done way more with less talent than Schwartz commands. The truth of that is really quite painful to admit being a former resident and lifelong fan. :'-C

• 7 years ago

Schwartz has more of a case to keep his job not by claiming he's done a good job but by simply stating the fact that nobody really wants to coach in Detroit.

• I hate the Cowboys with a passion but I'll be fair here. Garret has more of a case to keep his case than Schwartz does. His Lions did a major collapse once again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.