Why does baby formula contain fluoride when babies don't have any teeth?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Before you read what I post let me say that I am thankful there is an alternative food source for infants when they are not able to receive breastmilk due to medical reasons. I view infant formula just like I view antibiotics. It can save a life but free samples are not mailed to you and you we don't ever think about taking it unless we absolutely have too.

Small amounts of fluoride can help protect infants teeth even before we see them.

Here is a list of some other ingredients found in baby formula that I am not sure why they are there either:

perchlorate, a chemical from rocket fuel

Melamine (linked to kidney failure)

Dioxin

BPA - linked to an increase risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and birth defects

AGEs (advanced glycoprotein end products)

extremely high levels of fructose

genetically modified organisms (GMOs) - linked to infertility, birth defects, immune disorders, growth and digestive problems, and premature aging.

What about organic formula - if brown rice syrup is listed first among ingredients, you may want to think twice: That product could have high levels of potentially toxic arsenic

cows injected with GE hormones

The DHA in infant formula is extracted from fermented microalgae, Cryptecodiunium cohnii, and ARA is extracted from soil fungus, Mortierelle alpina. These are both grown on GE corn. Cryptecodiunium cohnii and Mortierelle alpina are new to the food chain – therefore any long-term effects cannot yet be fully known. Moreover, the manufacturing process of these LC-PUFAs causes concern. The solvent used to extract the oil is hexane, a petroleum-refining by-product and a known neurotoxin and air pollutant.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Infants have teeth, they are just up in the gums waiting to erupt at the proper time. Tooth development begins in the fetal stage.

• KymLB
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

Nine month old babies have teeth and are on formula.

• T
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Fluoride is toxic waste from the aluminum and fertilizer industry. Ingesting it has NO benefits to teeth and can cause serious health problems.

Of all age groups, infants are the most vulnerable to fluoride toxicity. Due to their small size, infants receive up to 400% more fluoride (per pound of body weight) than adults consuming the same level of fluoride in water. Not only do infants receive a larger dose, they have an impaired ability to excrete fluoride through their kidneys. Healthy adults can excrete more than 50% of an ingested fluoride dose; infants, by contrast, can only excrete 15 to 20%. This leads to a greater build-up of fluoride in the body, and may help explain why infants fed formula made with fluoridated water suffer higher rates of dental fluorosis, a discoloration of the teeth caused by excessive fluoride ingestion during childhood.

Teeth are not the only tissue that can be affected by fluoride exposure during infancy. A baby’s blood brain barrier is not fully developed at birth, and this allows fluoride, a neurotoxin, greater access to the brain than in later periods in life. Over 30 studies have associated elevated fluoride exposure with neurological impairment in children, which may, in part, result from fluoride’s affect on the thyroid gland. In light of the serious nature of these effects, and the lack of benefit from pre-eruptive ingestion of fluoride, basic precautionary principles strongly counsel against exposing infants to any fluoride.

Concerns about the wisdom of supplementing an infant’s diet with fluoride are being voiced by even ardent pro-fluoride dental organizations. In 1994, the American Dental Association (ADA), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) reversed their decades-long policy of recommending that doctors prescribe fluoride supplements to newborn infants. While these organizations have refrained from taking the obvious step of recommending that fluoridated water not be be added to infant formula (a practice that exposes infants to nearly 4 times more fluoride than supplements) a growing number of prominent dental researchers have made this recommendation.

http://www.tuberose.com/Fluoride.html http://fluoridealert.org/

Source(s): I have fluoride toxicity
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Babies still have gums which fluoride tends to also support and keep healthy as well.

• 6 years ago

I expect it is because it has found to be in breastmilk..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.