Computer question off a SSD with a HDD?

Hey all! I have a question and hope y'all can help me out! For Christmas I got a new gaming computer and I have a few questions on how the SSD and the HDD work.

1) it said that the configuration is raid 0 what is that? Does it mean that the two are working togeather?

2) if they are not working togeather should install my games only on the SSD due to the fact that the HDD runs at 5400rpm?

3) does installing stuff onto the 5400rpm take longer than a 7200rpm HDD?

4) am I over thinking this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

It's 1 256 SSD and 1T HDD. I get that the optimal ideal situation would not have the HDD in the first place but the computer was a gift that I wasn't expecting. It seems to me to be a good computer just I want to understand how these hard drives work. Please any answers relating to my questions again would be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

It's honestly not a good idea to put SSDs in raids. You cannot use TRIM if you RAID them, which will actually hinder performance and possibly decrease the usable lifespan of the drive. SSD's are so fast anyway, they are nearly "instant", you won't gain any noticeable performance by putting them in RAID.

• ?

hmm

firstly do you have 1 ssd & 1 hdd or do you have one of those "crazy" (imho poiintless) hdd with ram (ssd) built in

for best performance (and subject to space on ssd) install os / software and any "big" games on ssd

use hdd for backups / storage etc

about raid - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID