Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 7 years ago

Can somebody with an Ancestry account help me?

I am very keen on learning my family's history but unfortunately I do not have an Ancestry account and can only use FamilySearch which is very good to start but then turns somewhat useless.

So, my grandfather Guadalupe Rodriguez Y Jesus was born in Puerto Rico in 1892-94. Apparently he renounced Spanish nationality (as he was born before 1898 when the Treaty of Paris gave Puerto Rico to the US) and became a US citizen and joined the Army during World War I.

I am sure he was an American citizen as my dad showed me his (my grandfather's) passport but I do not know if he went to Spanish Embassy/Consulate and renounced Spanish citizenship.

I am most interested in the military records. I would love to know his rank or any awards and medals he received. I strongly doubt he became an officer as he was in the military for a very short period of time.

Thanks in advance! I shall be very grateful to those who can help me.


I cannot believe I received such a disgusting response from a user going by the name of Carl. I thought Yahoo Answers was actually a good place to ask questions but it appears to me that no longer is the case.

Update 2:

I think my uncle has my grandfather's honorary discharge from the army so I could check what name the discharge gives him and look for him under that name.

4 Answers

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Can't help you with an ancestry account as I do not subscribe, if you want to use that website you will be able to use it i your local library for that is an option for you, although you may or may not find anything, they don't have all records available despite what their adverts say..........

    So if you have seen a USA passport then he was an American citizen, the Foraker Act of 1900, which replaced the governing military regime in Puerto Rico with a civil form of government. Section VII of this act created a Puerto Rican citizenship for the residents "born in Puerto Rico and, therefore, subject to its jurisdiction".The Puerto Rican citizenship replaced the Spanish citizenship that Puerto Ricans enjoyed at the time of the American invasion in 1898, so he wouldn't have needed to 'give up' Spanish citizenship, it was replaced. This citizenship was reaffirmed by the United States Supreme Court in 1904 by its ruling in Gonzales v. Williams which denied that Puerto Ricans were United States citizens and labeled them as noncitizen nationals. This went back and forth,the Jones act 1917 where the Spanish Government recognised Puerto Ricans as a people with Puerto Rican, "and not American," citizenship and rubbled on for many most 'commonwealth' countries which were part of 'Empires', invaded, changed and became independant etc

    Military records you wuld normally have to pay for a copy of, I would suggest you ask your dad and any uncles you have as they are likely to know more as fathers are more like to talk to their sons with regards to stories about service, those stories may or may not be true but it could give you more clues and enable you to home in on a regiment, time frame etc This gives you some information and in the 1920 he was 26yrs old and living with his parents/siblings in Puerto Rico so at an age for WW1 sign up/drafting into the Porto Rico Voluntary Infantry, the Porto Rican Provisional Regiment of Infantry, the Porto Rico Regiment, U.S. Infantry and finally in 1920, the 65th Regiment, U.S. Infantry. 236,000 Puerto Ricans registered for the WWI draft and 18,000 served in the military.

    Draft Registration records for Puerto Rico may be found at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) located at Seventh & Pennsylvania Ave Washington, DC 20408 and at its New York Regional Center at 201 Varick Street in New York City. These records contain the name date of birth and other identifying data of the registrant. They are organized by name, alphabetically, and by municipality.

    Records of men who actually served in the Puerto Rican unit in World War I may also be found at the NARA .ask for a record called “Special Enlistments & Miscellaneous Registers – Porto Rico Provisional infantry 1901-1919.”

  • 7 years ago

    and voila...that report button does wonders sometimes. Yes, there are some crappy persons online..don't let them deter you.

    Persons who became citizens apply IN THE US, and that application should have more info. Renouncing former allegiance is part of the process..although the specifics will differ by the time frame. These are not always online, no matter which website.

    Start with what you birth/death dates, death certificate, and HOPEFULLY he had social security number. Send for that file.

    There are military indexes (not necessarily on or familysearch).. so if you can get an index entry, you take that to the next step to send to the Natl. Archives.

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    I poked around for a while and didn't find anything. He's probably there, somewhere, under a variation of his name I didn't think of. I'm sorry. Some libraries have subscriptions. You should ask at yours.

    You get all kinds here on Y!A; sometimes someone gets up in the morning, puts on a clean shirt and decides to see how many people he can annoy. That's when you look for the "Report Abuse" flag.

  • 7 years ago

    You can research you family at most public libraries, as they have ancestry at no cost to patrons. You could also use Family Search Centers they have 12-13 subscription sites and there is no fee to use them

    Source(s): Genealogical researcher 40+ years
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.