Does Houston, Tx (Harris County) respect domestic partnerships? What does that involve?

I am trying to get health benefits from my girlfriends company without getting married (not a big fan of marriage). However, her company will give me benefits if we become domestic partners. We just aren't really sure what all that entails. In other words, how does it affect her tax forms or my tax forms etc.... show more I am trying to get health benefits from my girlfriends company without getting married (not a big fan of marriage). However, her company will give me benefits if we become domestic partners. We just aren't really sure what all that entails. In other words, how does it affect her tax forms or my tax forms etc. Are there any other worries we need to take into account before applying for domestic partnership? Or is it just as simple as it sounds? We just don't want this to turn around and bite us during tax season or something.

Some additional details: We are both older that 25yrs old. She has a kid but i do not (not sure if that matters). I will be full time school and part time work. She will be full time work. We do live together and are a serious couple. We both reside in Harris County (Katy, Tx).

Please only answer if you have some experience in this matter, a lawyer, an accountant familiar with the area, etc. Also if you could please shoot a link to a source to verify any information you provide.

Thanks in advance for anyone that's willing to take time out of their day to help answer my question. I truly am appreciative and grateful.