Crisis Situation with Family?

Hello everyone. I'm dealing with a potentially bad predicament right now. As of a week ago, I was invited to a party by a friend who I've known for a few years. I really want to go to this party, but my parents keep telling me, "No." The party is tomorrow and I was really set on going to it. It should be mentioned that my parents always reject my proposals to go out and leave the house. I have been socially deprived and I am never allowed to go out, which has basically caused me to go stir crazy. I am a teenager who has his whole life ahead of him and I don't even get to enjoy it. I know I sound like an arrogant, self-absorbed kid but I cannot take it. My parents treat me like a child. They said that if I go, they wouldn't allow me to come back home and I would be "stuck out on the streets." In the last two years, my relationship with my parents has been so poor, I might actually leave. So if I do, what are my options? I'm still in high school and am ready to begin college, but I don't know how I would go about continuing my education if I left my family right now. I should mention that I am 17 years old and am unsure of what to do. So please, anyone, help me out here. This is a very serious situation.

Thanks.

Best Answer

If they're going to pay for you to go to college and you are allowed to go away to dorm - then suck it up until you leave. It's one party in your 17 years...you've waited this long. If they are not going to pay then when you graduate hs you can get a job and a shared housing situation and take classes at night. It will take you longer but it can be done. You could also talk to a military recruiter about how much of college will be paid for if you join and how long you have to commit to in order to get those benefits...but you would really have to weigh the pros and the cons...you think your parents are tough? Try uncle sam. You might also find a job as a live-in home health aide if you can find a situation that will allow you enough time off to attend classes. Some schools have weekend classes and a live-in job provides food and housing. Finally, if you live in the US - your parents have to provide for you until you are 18. It is illegal for them to kick you out at 17. No family court judge is going to think your parents were right for kicking you out for attending one party that you told them that you were attending. But you hit the nail on the head when you said you have the whole rest of your life ahead of you. Your parents are just ridiculously over-protective - but I'm sure that they are that way because they care about you. Maybe you can try to sit down with them and explain that you are getting older and ask them what they would consider in order to let you attend a party (i.e., you guarantee your home by 11, you text every hour, you promise not to drink or smoke, you mow the lawn and do the laundry) - truly there has to be some way for them to agree to a compromise that will not result in you having to leave home and cut them out of your life completely.