Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 years ago

Is adjusting to zoloft really that terrible?

My doctor prescribed 50mg of zoloft for my anxiety. But after I filled the prescription I looked up zoloft online and I read about how it is total hell for the first 2-6 weeks. It scared the **** out of me and I refused to take it or the klonopin.

I started eating better, more omega 3 and raw vegetables and fruits. I started a vitamin b complex and exercising every day. I only drink water and intake very little sugar. And I have been doing it for a month. I can tell my hyperventilation problem has gotten better because I have taught myself to breathe properly. So I don't have panic attacks as easily anymore but I am terribly afraid of everything. I cry a lot now because I can't drive anymore and when I try and go into stores I feel terribly suffocated and I make myself stay in the store to try and teach myself to accept and let the fear and panic pass through me but I can stand there and sweat billets for 20 minutes and the feeler does not ease up on me! I refuse to let myself run away whenever I get this uncontrollable fear because I want to face it and deal with it but it has been nearly 5 weeks and no amount of 'desensitization' I try... I always come out no better. I try camomile to help me sleep and sometimes melatonin but I still wake up 10 times a night.

My husband put his foot down tonight and told me I needed to at least try the zoloft because he was tired of seeing me suffer. I called the doctor and explained to him about what I had read that everybody said that the adjustment period for these drugs was terrible and everybody said that their anxiety got worse and it lasted for weeks and sometimes months. But he told me that I needed to stop reading off the Internet and that I could simply cut the pill down into a fourth and take it for a week, then a half for a week, and then a whole pill for two weeks and then I would need to come see him and he would talk to me. He said that it would take a month to really see a big difference and that I would might have some stomach issues and feel a little 'off' but that it would not last long at all.

Now I am confused! I thought it was suppose to be 'shaking, trembling, headache, million times worse anxiety, panic attacks every day terribleness to adjust to zoloft? But my doctor told me that it was their anxiety that was terrible and not necessarily the zoloft.

• Naguru
    Best Answer

It depends. You see in my case, I know how to adjust with all these adventures, because I have enough experience and maturity and I frequently consult my family doctor and take necessary clarifications. Moreover, I understand, adjust and cooperate with the doctor. For those who are novice, they should strictly follow the good words of advice from a professionally qualified doctor. There is no other best way. For inexperienced people, it will be considered a misadventure, which they should not indulge.

Source(s): compiled.

That only happens to some people. The people that start Zoloft without any issues don't really care to write about their experiences online, so you end up with the horror stories which don't represent the whole population of Zoloft users.

Most people that have a lot of issues when starting Zoloft are probably causing them by their anxiety. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy--if you are convinced you're going to have much worse anxiety and headaches and panic attacks, you probably will.

I was on Zoloft 100mg when I was 12 and I had absolutely no side effects when I started. Some people do, some don't.

On other antidepressants, I've had a few side effects when started, but nothing terrible. Just minor annoyances.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I started eating better, more omega 3 and raw...

Source(s): adjusting zoloft terrible: https://tr.im/6E7bN

I'm on zoloft too and my doctor told me it usually takes about a month for the meds to actually work. When I first started I was getting nausea and sleeping a lot less. I mean a LOT less! Like 3 hours instead of 15! But that stopped eventually and the chronic fatigue returned... In any case tell your doctor about the side effects :) good luck! And by the way never take zoloft before going to sleep, it keeps you awake! In the morning was recommended to me by my doctor AND the pharmacist.

The pharmaceutical companies are required to put every little side effect, etc in writing.Reading on the internet will only lead to your anxiety. If you doctor thinks you can benefit from Zoloft, then you need to give it a try and keep an open mind. You have made great dietary changes in your diet. I agree with your husband. The usual starting dose is 25 mg, but do what your doc has instructed you to do and go from there. You may be presently surprised. Good luck

• Monica

I started cutting after I started taking anti depressants it recommend counseling or even a church group