Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Did Lou Reed do drugs in the 1970's?

This is kind of a stupid question, but I'm kind of going through cognitive dissonance here. There are people who say he definitely was, while there are others who say that, in reality, he didn't do drugs at all or at least didn't do drugs that much. So, I'm curious since there's apparently no general consensus (somehow). I'm gonna say that, honestly, I kind of find the latter hard to believe.

Update:

I know how he died from liver disease due to alcohol abuse and Hepatitis C, but I'm having trouble with people like David Bowie, John Cale, and Sterling Morrison stating he took drugs while the writer Legs McNeil and whoever wrote Reed's obituary for the Economist state he didn't take drugs and just wrote about drugs and drug addicts. I'm just stuck with asking which one is true. Weird I know, but it was kind of confusing.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Lou Reed Drugs

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

RE:

Did Lou Reed do drugs in the 1970's?

This is kind of a stupid question, but I'm kind of going through cognitive dissonance here. There are people who say he definitely was, while there are others who say that, in reality, he didn't do drugs at all or at least didn't do drugs that much. So, I'm curious since there's...

Source(s): lou reed drugs 1970 39 s: https://trimurl.im/j55/did-lou-reed-do-drugs-in-th...
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Lou Reed Heroin

• 7 years ago

Hell yes. He took drugs. Very often. Buuuuut, he didn't take them for 'fun', he (and the Velvets did too, when they were together) took them for his music. Like Pink Floyd did really. Drugs inspired his songs. He wrote about the darker sides of life, the sides that people kept away from, and that included drugs. Big time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Smiley
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes he did.

I recommend reading his biography "Transformer - The Lou Reed Story"...

http://i57.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1102/1c/e2fc40ddae0...

• 7 years ago

If there was a period in his adult life where Lou Reed did not do drugs, I have never heard of it.

• 7 years ago

Are clothes made out of cloth?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.