Seth Catley asked in PetsFish · 6 years ago

Big aquarium on third floor apartment?

I live in an apartment building in Charlotte NC. This apartment complex was build around 2005 and I'm sure each floor can support quite a bit of weight but I'm not sure... I'm about to buy a 120 gallon fish tank. With the water, glass, substrate, and stand it will weigh roughly 1200lbs. The tank is 4x2x2, this means 150lbs per square foot. THATS ALOT OF WEIGHT. I plan on placing the stand on a 6x2.5 wooden platform to spread out all that weight. This means it will be more like 80lbs per square ft. A contractors safe weight per sq ft is only 40, but that is only to save their *** in case there is a bad joist or rot. So anyways, obviously even though I'm fairly knowledgable it still bothers me because I can't tell where the floor joists are, because my subfloor doesn't have plywood with nail marks labeling where the joists are located, or where the weight bearing wall is, simply because I have no damn idea where a weight bearing wall is! Help me out here. Is it safe, where should I put it. Give me some advice, preferably if you're a contractor or in the construction world.

The picture I posted is my living room going out to my balcony. Where the tv is, is where I want the aquarium.

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

The standard structural weight limit in apartments is 40 pounds per square foot. That nothwithstanding, the Brooklyn Aquarium Society has always maintasined that tanks up to 200 gallons are safe. I have a 70 on a stand witha 50 underneath it on a 4.5 x 2 x 2 foot platform board and there have never been any problems. A big heaver dresser witha TV on it exerts more than 40 pounds., and those don't even have boards under them to spread the weight distribution out.

Source(s): IRobert Price, Ph.d, Ichthyology, board of directors, Brooklyn Aquarium Society s there a structural weight limit in apartments?
  • Amber

Are you worried that a really big tank might be heavy and break the floor and fall down on your neighbor? A refrigerator weighs more and it's fine. My friend has a 55 gal in the second floor. it's fine, except I don't think the landlord is too happy about it.