Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can i sue charter communication for trying to bill me for my wife's debt?

Several days ago I've contacted charter communication regarding internet and TV, i spoke to one of their representatives and chatted with them on their website to make sure i can create an account with them.

i told them about the situation where my wife had an account (account was on her name)before and that she still own money. and that we live in the same apartment i was very transparent.

after explaining them the whole thing i asked them if i can create an account , both in the internet chat and on the phone the representatives said yes, you can go a head and make an account.

So i went a head and created an account. the day after they've sent someone to install the service that i ordered.

One day afterward they shut the services down, i called them to ask whats going on, and they told me i own $16 bucks - for taxes which was their mistake they didnt charge it so i paid that and they restored the services for that day.

Here is whats bothering me alot.

The day after they shut the internet down again. when i called them this time they told me they will not restore the service back because of my wife account. so after a lot of discussion and argument i told them i want to cancel the service i made and get refunded what i had to prepay. they told me that the money i paid will go toward the debt my wife has.

i have recorded conversation and document chat for everything.

can i sue ?

if so what will i gain from it ?

Thanks in advanced.

Update:

Well, so they can basically lie to client claiming 1 thing in the intention to debt collect ?

i mean that what they did, they got me to pay for new service and now when i want to cancel they are trying to apply the refund toward my wife's debt ..

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can sue for "unfair and deceptive business practices" causing you monetary damages, if you have the necessary proof. You can also report them to the AG's office of consumer protection.

Unless you live in Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington or Wisconsin (community property states), you are NOT responsible for your wife's debts for things other than "family necesssaries", and the like. State laws vary, and you didn't say what state you're in.

Similarly, state laws vary on whether you can secretly record a conversation.

For those who apparently "can't read too good", the "damages" you suffered would include any money paid for YOUR service that was illegally applied to an account for HER service, not to mention any punitive damages the court or jury award you.

Your attorney will fill you in on the details of what to do next.

• 7 years ago

I don't think so. Was your wife's debt incurred before or during your marriage? You are still married to your wife and living with her, so your debts are probably joint debts. You and your wife need to figure out how to pay what she owes to them. Then you can get internet or whatever without this hassle. If you have enough money right now to pay the monthly fee, you should be able to pay off your wife's debt.

• 7 years ago

where you are is critical. in some states/places, a wife's debts while married are also debts of the husband with or without his signature.

Source(s): grampa
  • 7 years ago

She is your wife, you both owe that debt as well. You cannot get service from them until her debt is paid.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

You're responsible for your wife's debts.

There is no "your account" or "your wife's account." It's one account, at one address.

• HJW
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Sue for what? You have not suffered any damages.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.