what would you do? TO get a refund?

What would you do?

Data:

Compaq Presario SR2150NX Desktop PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam...

Processor upgrade information

Socket type: 775

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Pentium D 900 series (Presler)

Pentium 4 601 series (Conroe)

Celeron D 3xx series (Conroe)

Celeron D 3xx series (Prescott)

My computer, 4+ yrs old, came with the Celeron 3.4 gig single speed processor and 512 meg ram, upgraded to 2 gigs. And Vista Basic [32 bit]

Story to go along with the above, to guide your commenting or judging:

Have had computers for decades–even before the internet. I bought in the last few years, two computers that followed a 385 meg processor, then a [server used as a pc]

1 gig computer, then this HP 3.4 machine.

In November, 2013, I wanted to improve the speed of my already fairly fast PC.

When I examined the configuration and its upgradable specifics, I knew I would get the fastest PROCESSOR available–a dual core with the same speed as the one

I already had–which should get me between 50-100% more speed, depending on the programs I wished to use.

I was amazed that the day I took my new processor to a repair facility, they told me my fan had just failed. The new one would cost over $45, instead of a more common $25.

I agreed. The technician needed only two days to fit my work order into his load.

I also ordered two, 2 gig sticks of ram as the HP improvement sheet depicts that a faster system can handle 4 gigs of ram, making the system still faster.

When I picked up the computer, the technician volunteered that he would not have upgraded my computer–and I was very puzzled about that.

I paid 2.5x what I had expected to pay with their increased hourly rate and the new fancy fan.

When I got home and plugged in my ac cord, the computer turned on as always but for some odd reason, was one-half as fast, not twice as fast.......what a burn!

Then, when I tried to exchange my working but slower ram sticks for my two newer faster ones, the computer rejected them entirely. I took the computer back and no one

could figure out why the motherboard rejected them even when the HP site recommended them.

I also sought and still do seek, a simple upgrade operating disk–Vista basic 64 bit, to make use of the two cores I now had. THE cheapest I could find was $65.00 and HP would not

provide me with any free disks even for an upgrade.

HP wanted $119 for a Windows 7 64 bit as it no longer sold the vista disks.

Wow. For a one time use of an op disk, of 30 minutes, $119.

I called the HP customer service desk and asked what goes–that the computer runs half as fast with 2x the processing capability. The answer I got dumbfounded me.

I was transferred to the top level customer service agent who started off telling me after I told him about the errors of data on his company’s web site and he said ‘we have no access to HP’s web site–although I am the supervisor of the site.”

I laughed. He hung up.

He never again talked to me or responded to any emails.

HOW do I get HP to recognize their error of data.........since even experts suggest not changing any other processor for the 3.4 single core that comes with the computer!

Favorite Answer

There are a number of issues here:

First, you don't need the 64 bit version of Windows to take advantage of a dual core processor. That is handled under 32 bit just fine. The 64 bit version would only be needed in order to access more than approximately 3.5 gigs of RAM.

The reason you were told the tech wouldn't have done the upgrade is that it is kind of a waste of money. You could have invested that same amount of money on a new board, processor, and memory for not very much, if any, more and had a much faster system.

It isn't the one time use of a disk that costs $119. What costs $119 is a 64 bit Wiindows LICENSE!. You can't just use a disk, you have to have a valid 64 bit license.

Your motherboard cannot handle more that 2 x 1 gig sticks of memory. The 2 x 2 gig sticks you purchased are a waste of money you can't use. The page you provide the link to for support of the machine states that quite clearly.

My guess is that the heat sink on your processor is either not mounted properly or that the fan isn't plugged in or is dead. When the processor gets too hot it automatically slows down to generate less heat in order to avoid burning up. This would make your system go very slowly. In addition, the CPU which you put in the computer uses substantially more power and generates substantially more heat than the previous one.

None of this is HP's fault or problem.

Your tech might have some responsibility for improper mounting/non-functioning of the fan on the heat sink, but it could just as well occurred on the trip home.

I am curious: what is a 385 meg processor?

Perhaps you mean a 386 processor? That would be the processor you might have gotten in the late 80's - early 90's.

Basically, you made an ill-advised attempt to infuse this computer with new life and now you aren't happy. If any of this had been recommended/advised by the tech then you might have recourse to return things to them, but you already made it clear that that is not the case - that you brought the things in and asked him to install it without any consultation about the advisability of your plan.

This has been an expensive lesson for you but hopefully you have learned from it and will seek solid quality advice before running out and buying things again.

If you really wanted to speed up your computer... you should have just bought an SSD (drive)... then programs would fly open...

As far as your RAM... you wouldn't haven't much of a speed increase at all... it would have been better to buy a graphics card instead...

Since HP didn't do any of the work... you can't fault them... You could have saved the time and money had you did this yourself... you could have gone to YouTube to search for How-To videos...

As far as RAM goes... 1GB stick is about $15-20...

To upgrade a CPU, it is often necessary to upgrade the BIOS. To install ddr memory, it is necessary to install matched pairs, otherwise, the memory reverts to single data rate. Your motherboard has a Socket 775, but cannot accept Core2Duo processors. The fastest processor your boad will accept os Pentium D 9xx. A list of 9xx processors is found at the link below.