i have a couple questions to ask you GM mechanics about my 95 Blazer 4.3?

i have a 1995 Chevy Blazer and most of the time i start it i smell gas ! i looked everywhere and i can,t find no leaks ! i did a complete tune-up on it too, it helped in the starting and running but i still smell gas when i start it but it goes away fast once it starts ! it still runs good and has all sorts of power ! i know if the vacuum hose going to the fuel regulator has gas in it then it,s shot but can they go bad and still have no gas in the vacuum hose ? another thing i need to know is about the reservoir for the radiator ! the computer sits on top of it and i need to remove it so i can flush it out good ! will the computer raise up far enough to get the reservoir off or do i have to unplug the computer first ? thanks guys !

Favorite Answer

By the sound of it, you have MFI fuel injection. There is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail with a cap on it just like a tire. Take the cap off to see if it is wet under it right after turning the key to "On" then "Off". You might have to replace that valve. Fuel pressure is at it's highest at that point and the valve may leak just enough to get a whiff of it.

I don't know what you have on top of your coolant reservoir, but it is not the computer. The computer (PCM) is located behind the glove box. Either way, disconnecting it to flush the reservoir would not be of consequence.

• Ted

Sounds like you're getting good answers here. You could also be smelling gas if your charcoal canister has been flooded with gas. This can get that way when the car sits in hot weather and the fuel expands into the vacuum lines because of a plugged vent in the fuel cap. A mechanic can take this apart, clean it and replace it. Another thought that one other poster has mentioned is to check along the fuel rails when the engine is cold and turn the key on to pressurize the system and see if there are any small wet spots around where your injectors insert into the intake manifold. If your 4.3 still has a TBI(throttle body injection) it just may be a normal thing to smell the gas. As was mentioned you should check the seal around where the air cleaner mounts to the TBI and replace the air filter if it's dirty. Also if you are starting it in a garage, you will be able to smell the gas more because some of it gets into the exhaust when you first start the engine.

Can't help on computer, but I'd test the FPR the same way I'd test an EGR. I'd apply vacuum and see if it holds vacuum. FPR's are exceedingly simple, but for all I know, ethanol kills them too, especially since you are talking about 1995 parts, pre-ethanol.

Even without starting it you should smell gas if it's a leak, the fuel rail is pressurized when you turn the key to run, so there is the same pressure whether it's running or not. Obviously the pressure will eventually bleed off, but that isn't going to be an issue if you smell gas the very first thing. I'd check EVAP and I'd inspect the air cleaner/air cleaner gasket/air cleaner snorkel at the same time.