How do you add tags to PNG and GIF images in the details plane in the picture library?

I've noticed that I can tag JPEG images in the details plane but not PNG and GIF images.

However, I want to add tags to PNG and GIF images to make them more easier to find, and although I've figured out a way to tag PNG images through Windows Live Photo Gallery, the method for doing that is confusing in certain ways and only shows the tags for PNG images when I have it open in Edit/Organize/Share mode.

So, I want to find a way to add and see tags to PNG and GIF images in the details plane.

If it helps any, I'm using a Dell laptop with Microsoft Windows 7.

• B K
    Favorite Answer

You can't store tags for PNG and GIFs because these image formats do not have support for metadata such as tags. It's because of the limitations of the image formats themselves, nothing to do with Windows.

However, there is a solution. You could try using other image cataloguing applications such as google picasa which has a database for storing tags, so you can add tags to pngs and gifs, but they won't be stored in the file metadata, only in the tags that reside in the picasa database. Google Picasa is free http://picasa.google.com