Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 years ago

Is there a brand of commercial cookie dough that is for sure safe to eat raw?

I have a desert making contest/party next week, and I am living in a dorm without a kitchen, only a fridge and a microwave. My plan was to roll cookie dough in melted chocolate, and freeze it, but I don't have the counter space to make cookie dough, so I wanted to buy it, does anyone know of a brand that has been FDA approved to be eaten raw? I know the exist, because they are what is put in things like cookie dough ice cream, which is FDA approved. I am not allowed to bring it if it is not FDA approved.

I would just make my own cookie dough without the questionable ingredients, because I know there are recipes out there, but I don't have any counter space to make it, so that isn't really an option for me.

• Anna E
    Favorite Answer

Don't listen to Roy, commercial cookie dough is NOT safe to eat raw. Maybe a year or two ago a major brand of refrigerated cookie dough (Pillsburry or Nestle) was responsible for a number of illnesses when eaten raw due to salmonella. To my knowledge the cookie dough that they use in ice cream is not offered for sale. I believe your only option is to find a recipe and make some of the edible raw cookie dough which basically just doesn't contain eggs.

You might try buying one of the dry cookie mixes and make them, just leaving out the egg. Normally these can easily be made with no real space because you just add some softened butter and maybe some applesauce to replace the eggs and then mix with a spoon.

• RoyS

Yes, all commercial cookie dough is safe because the eggs used are pasteurized.

• Tigger

Commercial cookie dough should not be eaten raw ... there are other ways to get e-coli into it besides eggs whether they are raw or not...