Alcohol or Drug addiction?

Alcohol or Drug addiction person can take this Valium medication.?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Nick
    Lv 5
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Speaking as a Pharmacist, not rehabilitation counselor:

Valium is not an opioid or even related to that glass of drugs. Valium is not a narcotic either, nor is meth or LSD. In pharmacology a narcotic is defined as a opioid based compound either organic, synthetic, or semi-synthetic.

Valium (Diazepam) is a benzodiazepine same drug class as Xanax, Ativan, Temazepam. It is a controlled substance Class IV, by definition from the FDA has low potential for abuse. Speaking as a Pharmacist, benzos are one of the most abused controlled drugs. Primarily because they potentiate narcotics. They work in the exact same manner as alcohol, impacting the transmitter GABA.

I will note that benzos, especially Valium is prescribed for recovery alcoholics often. There are only two drugs in the world that can generally kill from withdraws. That's Alcohol and Benzos. Alcoholics are given Valium so they do not fall into seizures, in addition benzos are used to pull people out of a seizure. While Valium is not as potent as Xanax it's half life (how long it stays in your system) is 100 hours compared to Xanax which is around 12.

Source(s): PharmD (Pharmacist)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Valium is still considered narcotic and is still highly addictive. They have many non-narcotic mood stabilizers that your doctor can recommend.

If you or someone you know is struggling with an addiction and needs help, give us a call at 800-853-1614

• 4 years ago

I'm answering as a drug addict currently in recovery. It is never ok for an addict or anyone else to take that type of medication, UNLESS it's prescribed by a doctor, the condition actually exists, and it's taken as prescribed.

• Mel
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

I think you already know the answer, Valium is an Opiod and is addictive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.