Can i get a texas hardship licences without going through a drivers ed course?

My parents both taught me how to drive, then my father & mother got divorced, my mom could not afford for me to go through the drivers ed. I know how to drive & i have studied a handbook that my friends have. I have to help my mom out with paying bills so i need a way to get a round. Am i able to get a hardship licenses, if so what do i need to do.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Let's start with the only 4 things that will get you a hardship license in the state of Texas.

Conditions of Eligibility

There are four acceptable reasons for granting a hardship license to a minor applicant:

1. The applicant’s family faces an unusual economic hardship and is being deprived of the basic necessities of life.

2. The applicant has an ill family member who needs transportation to medical treatment or the applicant must drive in her place to keep the household running.

3. The applicant is enrolled in a vocational educational program.

4. An immediate family member has died and remaining family members need him to drive temporarily to carry on household routines.

If you don't meet one of those, stop reading now.

Still reading? Okay, yes, you need the drivers ed.

The Texas Department of Public Safety may investigate or require evidence of the information an applicant gives on the application for a hardship license. The required driver training course must conform to the standards for Driver Education or Motorcycle Operator Training courses for Texas schools. The application for a hardship license must be executed by an authorized adult, with both the adult and minor signing the form, and submitted in person at a drivers license office. Authorized adults are parents, guardians or persons having custody. If the applicant does not have parents, guardians or custodians, the applicant's employer or a county judge may apply on his or her behalf. After an applicant receives approval, he or she must present it within 45 days as authorization to take the driver's license exam. This does not apply to 14-year-olds who applied for early enrollment in driver training classes. The Department of Public Safety may place restrictions on the hardship license if they do not conflict with the original court order or authorization. These restrictions usually specify the time period or geographic area necessary to alleviate the hardship or emergency

Still with me? The form to apply is here: http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-77...

• Mushu

No. You're still required to do all the necessary steps. All a hardship is, is an expedited license. You can't skip any requirements.

A hardship licence is for people who have a licence and had it suspended, so probably not. That person also would have to prove that there are absolutely no other people in the house who can possibly drive for them, no viable public transit, and that their inability to drive threatens the very survival of their household. So also probably not.

No, I doubt it. To find out for sure you need to apply for one at your DMV. BUT.....Not being able to afford a license or the instruction does not qualify you for a "hardship" license,.