what is your favorite short barrel assault rifle?

Favorite Answer

7" barrelled M16 carried by troops guarding nukes in the 60's and 70's, also known as the AEC (Atomic Energy Commission) variation of the M16. Not too well known even then, almost impossible to find an original built by Colt anymore. A fun toy to play with.

i've never handled any other assault rifle in my life other than a M16 and a Chinese Type 56.

strictly going by real assault rifles i honestly have no interest in things that waste good ammunition. there's nothing a rifle capable of automatic rifle can do better than my semiautomatic or manual action rifle can.

going by what idiot liberals calls assault rifles...

i guess it'll be the Mosin Obrez assault weapon. it's a mosin 91/30 cut down to a pistol or carbine with a 10" barrel. you can assault someone real good with it, the fireball/muzzle blast alone is enough assault. my 18.75" barreled mosin assaults the range thoroughly each time i shoot it. the fireball singles nearby targets and the blast tears up the ceiling panels.

The one that was the most fun to shoot was my VZ58 Sporter Super Short. Firing 7.62x39 ammo through a 7 1/2" barrel is impressive to feel and see. LOTS of smoke, flame and noise. ( but it was only semi-auto and we have a 5 round, center-fire limit. ) The full auto guns are more impressive, such as the Sterling SMG, FAL full auto version, M2 and the two I shot in Vegas...a real P-90 and the Kriss. ( would never buy the Kriss, now ...as a result of that experience.) Too expensive and not really very practical. I guess that's why they don't sell that many here....mainly just for the novelty factor.

I still very much enjoy my ANCIENT department issue Colt A2 with its not-so-short 16" barrel that replaced the original 20" which FINALLY failed to headspace properly after 20+ years of use. I put a new upper on it because I wanted the more precise rear sight that came with it, instead of rebarrelling the old one.

I also agree with MoosePtrl about that Harry guy.

personally my favorite short barrel assault rifle is compact HK416 HK make great weapons and having the ability to have them compact and not have many penalties along with the loss of the long barrel is great

Haven't tried one. My fav PDW. is the CETME.

There are no singularly assaulting rifles when all firearms are capable of "assault." A Marlin 60 or a Brown Bess assaults with the same result as a M16 or M4. Aimed properly the target is dead.

"Assault Rifle" refers to a semi and/or fully automatic weapon that shoots a cartridge more powerful than a handgun and less powerful than a "Battle Rifle". While you may live in a state that allows you to own an "assault rifle", The cost of any fully automatic weapon is greater than my annual salary. Then there is the transfer tax on fully automatic weapons, finding a dealer who will handle the transaction, and the paper work which will take months. What you mean is that you want a rifle that looks like an assault rifle. I unfortunately live in a state that judges books by their covers, and assault rifle look-similars are illegal.

• Andy

No idea since I've never fired one. I did get to shoot an Ingram Mac 10 which was a load of fun.

M4 Carbine.

Never shot one.

I just wanted to post something so I could add that Harry is an idiot. And, no, I'm not judging that book by it's cover. You literally responded to something completely different...

GUU-5/P. Why do you ask?